I think my Transmission shredded??

KhandyRhedBhusa

Registered
Maybe some of you busa heads remember that I was without 2nd & 3rd gear for a while. I believe it was the dogged being rounded off. well I have for some time now have been running full synthetic for a bit. I have noticed that lately, when I hit the throttle, it seems like the clutch has been slipping? seems like a 'lag' kind of like when you hit an automatic downshift at highway speed in a car. I do have 49k on the clock stock clutch never changed. But I thought the issue was due to synthetic oil??

well last night i was leaving my friends home and got to the 2nd stop sign before the main road, i left the bike in 1st gear, so when i was attempting to leave from the sign ofcourse I release the clutch and I hear a gut wrenching sound. You know the sound of metal clunking and parts seizing up? i can hear and feel metal parts rotating and found it was defineately the tranny. it sounds like when a rod slaps a block but worse because there are alot more moving parts inside the tranny.

I had to push the bike all the way back. the engine is sound. starts fine, sounds fine, and revs perfect. when i attempt to put it in first, lots of clunking going on to where i have to cut the engine. also i can feel a difference in the clutch lever, and it does nothing. with the bike off, i can put her in first, and engaging the clutch will not allow me to roll it like it used to.

i have just REAAAAAAAAAAL LUCKY this did not happen on the main road, or the highway because the bike would have locked up, and i would go down and dead. no way around it, oh and run over like 8 times too. see i knew there was a reason i wanted to fix the tranny before my 1400mile round trip to Missouri :-/

so maybe it is my clutch assy or tranny? I do however have a complete replacement tranny with no wear.

no telling what has happened... your riding around with an already fouled trans is pretty sketchy IME.. without knowing what was damaged, you may have been just grinding up the rest of the transmission with what ever failed on the 2/3 issue..

You likely took a repair and turned it into a replacement job by continuing to ride the thing.... hope the case is ok...

tear it apart time..

take your sprocket cover off and check your clutch push rod see if it is broke i had that problem a while back and it sound like parts jumping around in the tranny.

Maybe some of you busa heads remember that I was without 2nd & 3rd gear for a while. I believe it was the dogged being rounded off. well I have for some time now have been running full synthetic for a bit. I have noticed that lately, when I hit the throttle, it seems like the clutch has been slipping? seems like a 'lag' kind of like when you hit an automatic downshift at highway speed in a car. I do have 49k on the clock stock clutch never changed. But I thought the issue was due to synthetic oil??

well last night i was leaving my friends home and got to the 2nd stop sign before the main road, i left the bike in 1st gear, so when i was attempting to leave from the sign ofcourse I release the clutch and I hear a gut wrenching sound. You know the sound of metal clunking and parts seizing up? i can hear and feel metal parts rotating and found it was defineately the tranny. it sounds like when a rod slaps a block but worse because there are alot more moving parts inside the tranny.

I had to push the bike all the way back. the engine is sound. starts fine, sounds fine, and revs perfect. when i attempt to put it in first, lots of clunking going on to where i have to cut the engine. also i can feel a difference in the clutch lever, and it does nothing. with the bike off, i can put her in first, and engaging the clutch will not allow me to roll it like it used to.

i have just REAAAAAAAAAAL LUCKY this did not happen on the main road, or the highway because the bike would have locked up, and i would go down and dead. no way around it, oh and run over like 8 times too. see i knew there was a reason i wanted to fix the tranny before my 1400mile round trip to Missouri :-/

so maybe it is my clutch assy or tranny? I do however have a complete replacement tranny with no wear.

As weird as this sounds, I had the exact same problem and it turns out the clutch wasn't disengaging. Awful awful sound, I know.
Mine was just lo on fluid, but perhaps your master cylinder or slave went out?
I dunno. Maybe someone on here can be more descriptive.

badass ty much for the tips
i have somewhere to start looking now ty :)

oh and i have had to replacement parts for 2 months or so, i was not planning on repairing, but replacing. if the bike is your only ride, then you have to make sacrifices

slave going out (no clutch disengagement) would cause a few thing but does not sound like the right symptoms..

Engine stalling at lights
Hard to get into gear at all when stopped
Bike lurches on engagement
soft clutch handle
hard up/down shifts

A bad noise in transmission like you are describing sounds a lot more serious IMO
By all means check it but I would be carefull about running bike any more than you have till you find the noise..

As weird as this sounds, I had the exact same problem and it turns out the clutch wasn't disengaging. Awful awful sound, I know.
Mine was just lo on fluid, but perhaps your master cylinder or slave went out?
I dunno. Maybe someone on here can be more descriptive.

I look and there was no clutch fluid. so that is really it? i know i can get it at autozone or whatever, what type of fluid should i get? ty much! hope this fixes it! will report back

yep DOT4 only.. you can go to 5 or 5.1 but there are other things to consider first..

Last edited:
leaky slave...maybe..

not sure this explains the noises you said you heard however.... got it full?

no one mentioned it here but I think it may be the clutch spring bolt backed out? when I hear the noise, it is in the clutch area. Also I can feel the difference in the clutch lever from normal to how it is now. when i have the clutch pulled in, in nuetral, it was fine, now when i slowly release it, I hear the clinking of metal. so I will start here

You may have some things torn up now. That may be why you're still hearing metal when engaging the clutch.

Take a look at that magnet in your oil drain plug. Lots of metal flakes or chunks will give you a good Idea that something is possibly messed up…

OK I bought a new clutch assy with everything in it. all i need to do is put it in now

6b25_1.JPG

yeah i know bad practive, but it has to be real bad, here things grinding around. but just incase i did get they whole setup. same thing with my tranny i just bought complete setup with everything before tearing down. I just rather have everything now, then go back. But believe me, i rather have possibly saved alot of money though, ty

Back