I think i'm getting old

Regular Joe

Registered
Heading to work the other day, cruising at about 80 on the highway, nice weather, mild traffic. A guy on a Ninja, I think it was a 600 but can't be sure, flyes right past me and revs it as he goes past. Slows down to keep just in front of me and jumps on it a couple of times to egg me on. He has a helmut......on the helmut strap, tennis shoes, shorts, and a tank top thats flying up his back. I keep my pace and take my exit a few miles down the road. Just a few years ago I would have put him in his place (opened Miss Busa up), but I decided that if anything were to happen, even to him, I didn't want to be any part of it. I ride hard sometimes, this just wasn't the time or place. When I got to work, I looked back at what happened and gave myself a nice pat on the back.

Anyway.......the reason I tell this story is this. It's partly from reading this board so much that I learned I don't need to ride like an idiot to look cool or have fun. Thanks guys.

most excellent

you are not getting older...

...just wiser
smile.gif

I am 41 but would have still smoked him... I guess I will always be a punk kid at heart... plus he is going to ride the way he is going to ride.... it is on him....
grim.gif

It's partly from reading this board so much that I learned I don't need to ride like an idiot to look cool or have fun.
I have to agree with the forum sentiment. I bought my Busa as a 39th birthday present for myself in April. Just a few years ago I was riding in shorts, t-shirt and sneakers all the time, riding my 1000R like I stole it 5-minutes earlier. I've learned a lot reading and seeing other members experiences on the org. And watching a few horror-show bike accident videos online everyday helps too. I belonged to a bunch of forums over the 11+ years I've been online, but the org is by far the best place I've ever found to hang out online! Thanks guys!

Heading to work the other day, cruising at about 80 on the highway, nice weather, mild traffic.  A guy on a Ninja, I think it was a 600 but can't be sure, flyes right past me and revs it as he goes past.  Slows down to keep just in front of me and jumps on it a couple of times to egg me on.  He has a helmut......on the helmut strap, tennis shoes, shorts, and a tank top thats flying up his back.  I keep my pace and take my exit a few miles down the road.  Just a few years ago I would have put him in his place (opened Miss Busa up), but I decided that if anything were to happen, even to him, I didn't want to be any part of it.  I ride hard sometimes, this just wasn't the time or place.  When I got to work, I looked back at what happened and gave myself a nice pat on the back.

Anyway.......the reason I tell this story is this.  It's partly from reading this board so much that I learned I don't need to ride like an idiot to look cool or have fun.  Thanks guys.
Good for you.. No sense spoiling a nice day.. Besides, you're riding a Hayabusa.. What else do you have to prove=)

Getting Older??? Man your only 26! Anyway good show of will. Its a busa you don't have to prove anything to a 600 Ninja. Shows how much the other guy new.
cool.gif

No sense traunting someone who has no protection...

Right off the bat it shows they have no common sense.. if you were to get into a race with them, they more than likely would do something that would endanger their life, someone else's life and your life..

But if someone comes up to me with no one around, and they are fully geared up.. lets do it, just for fun
biggrin.gif

I think the Ninja rider should find you and thank you for not blasting past him throwing him into a wiffle ball spin
race.gif

Seriously though, you did the right thing, racing should be left at the track.

Good call, you did the right thing...besides, racing a ninja 600 on the open road is just wasting a busa
tounge.gif

When you own a Busa, you don't have to prove anything to anyone.  They already know its the King.  Funny story, I was on a group ride over the weekend.  I ride with the slow group, which still moves along at a good pace.  Anyway, every once in a while, the fast group would hold up at an intersection and wait for the slow group to catch up.  At one of the meeting spots a group of teenagers came up to see the bikes.  The only one they were interested in was my Busa.
biggrin.gif
 They didn't care about the 2 GSXR 1Ks that were there or the guys that were basically doing a track day on the street.

<!--EDIT|BusaWhipped
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147564512 -->

He knew what you were riding....and he knew he'd get dusted if you got frisky. You did the right thing to have ignored him, good going!
Don't even think that you're old, it's all in your head! Now I'm old.....61 big ones, but guess what? You'll not find any trace of chicken stripes on my Bessie Busa!
smile.gif
My family tells me I should grow up.....maybe someday I'll think about it!?

Ya did the right thing
wink.gif

But under the right circumstances...I would've clicked it down to 3rd or 2nd and vaporized the punk
tounge.gif

I agree that racing is for the dragstrip or track. Besides ,what would be the use? Would be like racing a vw bug with a Mustang GT. What would it prove? You did the right thing!
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|GSXcite
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147581237 -->

Back