I need some pics of your motor...please

Worst case could be a cracked frame. I would check the welds on the frame if you don't find the culprit. I would replace it with the factory bolt though, that way if it happens again, you know there is a real problem and you won't transfer this force to somewhere else in the frame. That isn't a super critical bolt if it breaks again. I would just keep an eye on it.

If the engine is straight (no chain problems) then it's probably a bad bolt like everyone else said.

Worst case could be a cracked frame. I would check the welds on the frame if you don't find the culprit. I would replace it with the factory bolt though, that way if it happens again, you know there is a real problem and you won't transfer this force to somewhere else in the frame. That isn't a super critical bolt if it breaks again. I would just keep an eye on it.

If the engine is straight (no chain problems) then it's probably a bad bolt like everyone else said.

No chain issues and the motor seems strait, the holes this bolt gose in is perfectly lined up.

Ok , even if it was a 'bad' bolt what force or stress acted on it to rip it in half?
Whatever twisted it in half is still not right.

Hole the bolt goes thru is straight now sitting still but how is it at 100mph?
Did it rip in half last time you gassed it?
Something happened to make the bolt snap.

Ok , even if it was a 'bad' bolt what force or stress acted on it to rip it in half?
Whatever twisted it in half is still not right.

It could of flexed enough to snap it if it was weak... there is gonna be flexing with the TQ. But I would look real good for any other mounts or frame cracks that could of helped cause this.

I found the 2 i have replaced always break right at the end of the thread, possible weak spot for these bolts.

I ordered another OEM bolt and nut ($17-$5) so I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. I have no idea how long it has been that way. I know for sure I put over 400 miles on it with the bolt broke, I went back and look through some pictures i took when it was apart to add coolant on my last trip and there is was hanging out and I didn't notice it at the time. From the look of it it's been this way for months but I have no real way of knowing. I don't drag race or do wheelies, I do WFO it on a regular basis though.

FYI, bike has over 26k miles

Back