Broke a Fairing bolt need advice

kevin8105

Registered
This weekend, I decided to change oil, spark plugs, clean front sprocket etc on the busa. After putting all fairings back on the bike, I had one last hex bolt to install to be complete with the project.

Here comes the stupid part... The last bolt i attempted to put in was the hex bolt in the center of the right fairing. For some reason the bolt would not go in straight, no matter how hard I tried. I made the dumb decision of trying to force it to thread the bolt in cross threaded, believe me, I know this was dumb, but i made one of those decisions. needless to say, the bolt snapped off sheer with the frame. Now I have a bolt cross threaded into the frame with no idea of what to do to repair this.

Has anyone else ever done something this stupid or have any suggestions on removal/repair?

Thanks in advance!

You have a serious problem! You can't drill that little bugger out as the stainless steel is much harder than the aluminum so getting a bit to take to the center of the bolt is near impossible. I'd probably take it to a machine shop and ask if they had any ideas on how to get that guy out without damage to the aluminum frame.

Sorry about your mishap. I always keep a tap on hand just for that specific job in case the threads need chasing to keep the bolt entering the threads smoothly.

Tufbusa is correct, the bolts are stainless, and are a bugger to drill!

Tufbusa is correct, the bolts are stainless, and are a bugger to drill!

They drill pretty easy with carbide drill bits and WD 40. Make sure you center drill it first. It is a pain but it can be done. Just take it so and don't get frustrated.

They drill pretty easy with carbide drill bits and WD 40. Make sure you center drill it first. It is a pain but it can be done. Just take it so and don't get frustrated.

I will give it a shot tonight after work and let you all know how it turns out. In the very unlikely chance that someone else ever dorks up like this, I will have a nice walk trhough (if successful). Thanks again! Pics to come..

When drilling make sure you keep it cool. Carbide drills are great and work better when cool. As a machinist for over 30 years I have used a lot of them. Good luck

If he is not smart enough to put the screw in right in the first place what makes you think he is will be smart enough to drill it out right. Please take you bike to a shop before you mess up something else. Drilling out a screw is much harder than screwing one in correctly.:welcome:

If he is not smart enough to put the screw in right in the first place what makes you think he is will be smart enough to drill it out right. Please take you bike to a shop before you mess up something else. Drilling out a screw is much harder than screwing one in correctly.:welcome:

Wow! What an awesome and helpful comment. I have worked on cars pretty much all my life, rebuilding engines, changing drivetrain components, pretty much anything on a car I can/have fixed. Judging my intelligence based on an admittedly bad decision is pretty lame of you. Im sure some of the other people posting in these threads have made some bad decisions as well (i have read a lot of them), but I would never hop in a thread where they admit to doing something like this and say that they arent smart enough to put in a screw. I have never and will never take my bike or car for that matter to a shop. I will always maintain and repair my own machines myself and probably learn a lot along the way. Everyone makes bad decisions and knows better in the process. I hope that you are man enough to admit when your time comes and that no one trolls into your thread to call you our on it.

Time and patience is all that's needed, well some tools of course. Smartasses calling people stupid when it has nothing to do with being stupid or not is one thing that WON'T get the bolt out.

Sent from Iphone 4 via Tapatalk.

There are a few boards out there you would fit in greatly with. In my short time also this is not the one for that kinda attitude. Help with the issue or move on. No reason to attack a dude already saying he goofed.

Ill man up and say i did the say thing!!

Also dreading the fix, and ill monitor this post for the outcome, and post mine as well, when i decide to tackle it! :)

No need to be hateful. The guy asked for help, not brow beating.

I have spent the last 9 years removing incredibly stuck, insanely hard hardware from fighter aircraft and their motors. Screws that have cycled through close to if not more than 1000 degrees hundreds of times. Believe me, anything can be drilled with a carbide aside from carbide. As was stated before keep it cool and lubed. Also, you will need to pilot drill it with a smaller bit to stay on center. Carbide bits love rpm so go fast. Honestly though, a standard high speed steel drill bit should do the trick in your case by going nice and slow with lots of drill pressure. Carefull though, stainless will work harden and then your screwed. If it heats up, it just gets harder and harder untill it melts your bits. Pilot drilling is your best friend in these situations.

Try tapping afterward but if it's too loose for your liking you'll need to helicoil the hole to repair the threads. Kits can be had at any good automotive store or online. They are very easy to use.

Good luck, let us know if you need more help.

Wow! What an awesome and helpful comment. I have worked on cars pretty much all my life, rebuilding engines, changing drivetrain components, pretty much anything on a car I can/have fixed. Judging my intelligence based on an admittedly bad decision is pretty lame of you. Im sure some of the other people posting in these threads have made some bad decisions as well (i have read a lot of them), but I would never hop in a thread where they admit to doing something like this and say that they arent smart enough to put in a screw. I have never and will never take my bike or car for that matter to a shop. I will always maintain and repair my own machines myself and probably learn a lot along the way. Everyone makes bad decisions and knows better in the process. I hope that you are man enough to admit when your time comes and that no one trolls into your thread to call you our on it.

That's the attitude that got you into this mess to start with. If you are not mechanically skilled enough to know better than forcing a bolt in cross threaded until you twist the bolt off I have no confidence you can drill a stainless steel bolt that's as hard as a whoresheart out of an aluminum frame with a hand held drill without making a mess of your frame.

I'm leaning towards agreeing with davapors that just maybe you are in over your head. There is no shame in asking for help from a professional. I wouldn't take it to a bike shop, I'd go to a machine and or metal shop where they have all the proper tools and know how to get your boo-boo fixed.

Remember, that bolt is bound in the hole so tight that you twisted the bolt off. What makes you think you can twist that puppy out with a tiny little easy out which you'll probably break off in the hole even if you are successful in drilling the hole without touching the threads. Once you break the easy out I can guarantee you won't be drilling that puppy out.

Back