I need Help!!!

Tiller

Registered
Ok guys, I know this is a busa forum and the bike I need help with is a TL1000R but yall are supposed to love all bikes so can yall help me out? Im pretty sure its the fork seals that are shot but I need some insight out how to possibly fix them or if it is for a repair shop, cuz i can only do minor repairs. Also, how much it might cost for a shop to rebuild them. And its only on the left fork but i know i should redo both. here is a couple pics of what it looks like. ANY information is awesome. Thanks guys, Jay

PLUS: the reason I am a member here is because I love the way this site operates and the people on it. My father-in-law in TwoBrothersBusa also.

These pics were taken after a 300 miles ride
100_4722.jpg

100_4724.jpg

and this is where it is slingin onto my fairing
100_4723.jpg

Is the fork wet right at the seals? Wipe the bottom of the seal with a clean cloth. If it comes up wet the seals need attention. I haven't seen forks leak from the bottom like that very often.

Last edited:
Is the fork wet right at the seals? Wipe the bottom of the seal with a clean cloth. If it comes up wet the seals need attention. I haven't seen forks leak from the bottom like that very often.

Its not would i would call wet (but could be), but just like a fine black crystal dust. And i guess it must be wet to be slinging onto my fairing.

YIKES that's nasty looking....almost looks like the nitride coating has been damaged from what I see....but it might be totally different in person vs on a computer. My shop does both sides for $170 if pulled off the bike. Didn't ask for a quote on the bike but I'm sure it would be another $80 minimum.

ps - Tillers are SWEET! Wish I could find a nice '01-02 to pick up cheap!

It doesn't look like oil to me. It looks like brake pad dust or brake residue that has gotten wet and started to rust a tiny bit. With the amount of metallic compounds in pads, when the dust gets on the fork tube and gets wet that may be the result. I'm not sure why it would happen only on one side unless there's only one rotor but leaking fork seals would leave oil residue not rusty dust. Does it wipe right off ? If so, wipe it down and just keep an eye on it.

Back