I have the solution for the BP oil leak

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
They should turn the problem over to Adam and Jamie from MythBusters and let them cap it off....

good idea, i can't see why it is so difficult to cap the thing off, i guess im not seeing the big picture....

so there is never anyway to cap one of these things then?? what do they do when they move on???

I used to work in the oil field and caught crew boats out of Port Fourchon, LA.

I have seen some amazing stuff you can do at deep depths.

They will find a way. Red Adair or Boots and Coots used to do incredible things in the day.
Bubba

How deep was the water where Titanic went down, we sent a small sub in there and pulled plates off the tables to bring back up and sell... I just dont get it...

You would think that they could slowly lower something from the top down and start slowly catching the oil as it came up, lower the pipe over the plume of oil and let it be caught on the top,

I guess that why Im not an engineer, it just doesnt seem that complicated, we put a man on the moon in 69, it appears that people are so stuck in the box that they can't think outside of it to make the changes that need to me made...

Apparently BP has been putting profit over safety for sometime and now it has caught up with them. All the safety devices in place to prevent this had failed and they continued to throw caution to the wind. It was an inevitable disaster. It may be the beginning of more to come, .....if these dangerous practices go unchecked. There are thousands of rigs out there.

Last edited:
We put a man on the moon in '69 so that we could escape this planet when it becomes uninhabitable...by instances just like this.

Fine example.

Not about stopping it .
It is about controlling the flow and being able to reuse it to make more billions.
If it was just a matter of capping it and moving on it would have been done long ago.

Free Oil sign ? +1000 they better drop some hay on the shores. Dumb azzes, "battery is dead in the safety shutoff!!!!" What a mess, we suk, only oil we have is bleeding off like a cut throat. WTF.

And now its caught up in the 'loop current' which will wind up destroying the Keys and east coast of Florida beaches !!!!!!!!
This happens BP better watch out cuz Blancas gonna be on the warpath...
on-the-warpath-randy-steele.jpg

The problem shouldnt exist, why wasnt a valve or 2 installed at the sea floor? :whistle:

I never worked on a "Floating Platform", But I do know there are BOP stacks on stationary Rigs and Semi submersibles (Which is what I was on) and much training is done to avoid this type of occurrence.

BOP = Blow Out Prevention, and is taught in and off Rigs in the Gulf. It is also practiced regularly and must pass within certain time limits, or you will get a huge slap on the wrist. This is something that was never taken lightly at all, and we all knew it would save lives.
I would think that a modern "Floating Rig" would have even more Reg's to adhere to than any other, since there are so many other variables.
Just an old hand's opinion.
Bubba

Not about stopping it .
It is about controlling the flow and being able to reuse it to make more billions.
If it was just a matter of capping it and moving on it would have been done long ago.

+1 to that!

Though it would seem feasible to cap it at the current leak and then retap it later, although I'm sure that would cost them too much $ to make it feasable since they already know it doesn't matter how big an ecological disater it becomes, we are still going to buy their oil, just look at Exxon's profits for the last few years.

You can now go to CNN.com and see the leak live on video as they have posted a link to live video set up by BP.

The best way nobody will touch. That is to implode the well. If done right it will suck everything in before imploding before an explosion shut it tight. The only thing that will implode is a fission nuke of the none gun reactive type.

Nobody is going to risk that going wrong, but it should have been done 25 days ago.

Not to trivialize the subject, but the oil only looks like it is leaking into the Ocean. Fact is, there is much pressure in offshore drilling due to the massive force the water is placing on the ocean floor. We use mud in the pipes while drilling to “Capâ€￾ or create a “Lidâ€￾ to keep the oil from blasting thru the pipe when we hit a formation.
This is also the reason the oil looks like it is just leaking, the 5000 feet of water is actually keeping it from being worse.
The deeper the ocean, the greater the pressure, and the “Mudâ€￾ must be denser (heavier) to compensate for the massive pressure.

This is a very simplified explanation and basic concept of normal drilling.

I have been out of the industry for too long and cannot speak for today’s drilling techniques, but I bet these still apply to most Gulf rigs.

I have not read the entire story and do not understand the Root cause of this accident, but there are many things that could occur during the drilling process. We may never really know the exact cause if the powers to be, cover any aspect of the Blow Out.

Just 2,
Bubba

Back