I have failed as a parent. Just found out

First Thank you to everyone for the support.

Just returned from court. I was able to get my hands on the police report. My daughter was NOT involved other than to be a party to a conversation off of school grounds. She was called as a witness along with another girl who also heard the conversation. My daughter is clear and a good kid. This was blown out of proportion by her mother and grandmother. And now I have all of the facts.
I did explain to her that being a witness to the conversation and not reporting it she could be held responsible. I also explained to her that if that had not been a hoax and a real bomb was planted and hurt or killed someone like a friend of hers and she did not report it that she would have to live with those nightmares for the rest of her life.
She understands what she should have done. I also explained she does not have to tell the police or school officials if she feels uncomfortable doing so, she can tell me, her grandfather or her uncle and we will handle it for her.

I let her know how much I love her and want to see her do right and well.

Again thank you for all of the support and words of wisdom, it really makes me feel better and glad to know I have family here.

Love all of you.
Kevin

Glad to hear the above. Looks like you didn't fail after all :thumbsup: - kids make mistakes, and she's a kid. I hope she learned something from this; 1. Doing the right thing, 2. You love her and are a good dad.

As to the girl with the 24 year old boyfriend.. how does this happen? I for one could say if I had a 14 year old daughter, and I knew she was "dating" a 24 year old, that me and this young man would be having a talk (about the best way to pick up missing teeth).

First Thank you to everyone for the support.

Just returned from court. I was able to get my hands on the police report. My daughter was NOT involved other than to be a party to a conversation off of school grounds. She was called as a witness along with another girl who also heard the conversation. My daughter is clear and a good kid. This was blown out of proportion by her mother and grandmother. And now I have all of the facts.
I did explain to her that being a witness to the conversation and not reporting it she could be held responsible. I also explained to her that if that had not been a hoax and a real bomb was planted and hurt or killed someone like a friend of hers and she did not report it that she would have to live with those nightmares for the rest of her life.
She understands what she should have done. I also explained she does not have to tell the police or school officials if she feels uncomfortable doing so, she can tell me, her grandfather or her uncle and we will handle it for her.

I let her know how much I love her and want to see her do right and well.

Again thank you for all of the support and words of wisdom, it really makes me feel better and glad to know I have family here.

Love all of you.
Kevin

way to follow through with non judgmental parenting ...explained the choices and why they were bad and options of how it could have went....followed up with support and love...

I'm not a parent, so I usually don't comment on anything parenting related. That said this is my first read of your post. Glad to hear everything worked out and IMO you made good use of this lesson teaching opportunity. I am 25 and with no kids I have plenty to relate due to my known judgement mistakes. I'm sure I will realize more mistakes with time.

I feel ya Kev. My 17yo twin boys live with there mom.... Its very hard to parent when they dont live with you. Glad it worked out for you

20 years ago calling a bomb threat to get out of school was a pretty common occurance. unfortunately today the threat of a BOMB is pretty real so its taken a lot more seriously. I would hardly call that bad parenting. if we all got cought for the stupid things we did as kids some of us would be convicted felonsl sad but true.
So true. This really shouldn't be such a big deal. Let's keep things in perspective. It's not like she was helping to make a real bomb right?

If my 16 yr old daughter was hanging around a 24 yr old man (even casually as a friend of a friend) I'd have a clear conversation with her regarding how I don't approve of that.

If that didn't work, Id have a clear conversation with the 24 yr old man.

I guarantee that will work.

I'd do anything I felt was right for my daughters.... anything.

glad that was cleared up ! Don't worry , you'l probly screw up some other way :laugh:

Back