I fu%&ed uo while installing undertail

busabrother

Registered
I drilled the holes under the outer plastic rear shell thru the undertail abs plastic too big. the 6 rivets that are supposed to hold this bad boy on are now too small. i have tried 1/4 inch rivets too big any ideas on what i can use to hold the pieces together any help is appreciated.. Again i say rumble import is a beast to put on!!

<!--EDIT|busabrother
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071119770 -->

get bigger well nuts
iamwithstupid.gif

The only holes that i can use the well nuts would be right near the foot pegs the other holes you cannot get behind to push from the back. Whatever i use would have to be one way. i.e. it has to expand or something like that.

Go to a autoparts store and they have the plastic rivets only the bigger ones. Like the size of the ones up on the frame under the triple clamp. I'm sure they have ones that fit.

ace hardware is the place to find any screws or nuts.
take the part in and tell them what u want to do.
i know its not a parts or motorcycle store but belive me they got screws and nuts.
good luck

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having
sad.gif

If I read this right, then the holes that are too big are actually the ones in the black plastic, and NOT in the undertail...right?

Go to a hardware or automotive store and look for some two-part epoxy compound.

1. Remove the black plastic piece...again. (I know it's a PITA)
2. Tape over ONE side of the hole(s) that's too big.
3. Mix the epoxy per the directions (usually equal amt of each).
***This stuff hardens quick so mix small batches***
4. Fill the holes with the epoxy, and let harden.
5. Remove the tape. Should leave a smooth side for you to redrill.
6. Drill new holes. Be carefull with the size this time.
7. Reinstall the black plastic piece.
8. Install your new undertail.
9. Take pictures.
10. Drink a few beers and be glad it's over.
biggrin.gif

Hope this helps you busabrother.

thanks for all the help guys.  stkr00 the holes that are too big are actually in the undertail, but i wonder can i epoxy them over and redrill?  Probably huh? The material is abs plastic

<!--EDIT|busabrother
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071153956 -->

thanks for all the help guys. stkr00 the holes that are too big are actually in the undertail, but i wonder can i epoxy them over and redrill? Probably huh? The material is abs plastic
If they're not WAY too big, I'd say yes. The heads of the rivets may cover up the epoxy part anyway. Just put the tape on the painted side so you don't have to do any sanding. Make sure the inside of the hole is scuffed a little so the epoxy can grab onto it.

Just wanted to give you another option, although larger rivets may be easier in the long run.

Your choice.
biggrin.gif

USe regular screws and get the small metal fasteners to screw them into on the inside of your rear cowling.

What about the same sort of fastener and clip that holds you lowers on it is very small and out of the way

Back