Hump mod help!

Delgado

Formerly known as KAI
Registered
Hey. I'm in the process of doing the cut to the hump and it looks like I got the width and height of the cut right but, when I try to stick it on, it seems like the plastic inside the hump is coming in contact with the grab rail. Did you guys have to cut the inside plastic piece as well? Or do I just need to keep cutting deeper? thanks

Take just a little at a time. Sometimes, the bolts that hold the grab rail on make contact with the underside of the hump. Make sure that is not happening, and if you have clearance, then you can take more off of the hump to make it fit better.

I had to play with the bolts that hold the Grab rail down, First I ground a little of the head off of the front set ( Set closest to the tank ) that helped a little but still didnt seem to sit right.

Try taking out the 2 bolts in the front, the ones closest to the tank out and see how it fits, I ended up tightening the back ones all the way, Still fit great and then putting in the front bolts and just snugging them. I think when you tighten the front ones it lifts up the back of the grab bar making it not fit quite right.

Im sure you will get other opinions but this is what worked for me

GEN I Model

Last edited:
on the genII you also have to cut from the inside.

search BigBSBusa hump mod...he did his 08 and I believe has some pics posted.

you have to cut the inside... Or you can change the bolts to flat allen heads...

100_0719.jpg

ImageShack Links Do Not Work

Thanks a lot for the help! I ended up cutting that whole section. I guess it wasn't needed but I eventually got it to fit. I have to put some force down for it to clip, but I like it that way. I'd rather not shave anymore of the hump off if I don't need to. I'll try to take a pic after I smooth out the cuts.

I had to cut the inside as well on my 08. Also, on the stainless piece that has the clips that actually latch it to the bike, I took off the bolts, added a small rubber washer and bolted it back on. I hope that wasn't confusing.

grab bar mod 001.jpg

grab bar mod 002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010005.jpg

I just went ahead and used jb weld on that sucker haha. It didn't come out as bad as I thought it would. I probably did a little more cutting than needed but oh well. Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
I figured I would just piggy back this thread. Can someone help me out? Can you see something that I am missing? It will not close.

9268481879_8f792de06e_z.jpg

9268484101_be2ed1f903_z.jpg

9268482967_ffcbedfba1_z.jpg

Have not done a gen II yet. :laugh:

But i beleive there is a clearance issue with the bolts.(according to previous poster)

Next time Monoxide...use a dremel Bro. Not the rusty bread knife.:laugh:

RSD.

hump.jpg

I will have to search, but I think you have to cut the pan where the back two mounting bolts meet the hump. Then modify the hump to install new bolts to keep the rear of the hump from flopping. The Gen II is not near as easy as the Gen I.

I will have to search, but I think you have to cut the pan where the back two mounting bolts meet the hump. Then modify the hump to install new bolts to keep the rear of the hump from flopping. The Gen II is not near as easy as the Gen I.

Good thing I sold that Gen II...too much work.:laugh:

2-Tone will fix you up Bro. :bowdown:

RSD.

Have not done a gen II yet. :laugh:

But i beleive there is a clearance issue with the bolts.(according to previous poster)

Next time Monoxide...use a dremel Bro. Not the rusty bread knife.:laugh:

RSD.

I took the bolts out completely because I thought the same thing. Still wont go down. I used a dremal. I just want to get it working and then I'll clean it up.

Back