How To Test Regulator?? Video Included

Ham

Registered
Hey all a friend of mine is have issues with his 2008 hayabusa. He says it often cuts off but doesn't give a code.
From what he explained i think it may be the voltage regulator/rectifier.
I have a 2009 manual but in the section on how to test the regulator it gives Gen1 testing not Gen2 testing.
Can some one explain the procedure to me or provide me with the correct manual.

There shouldn't be a difference in this area gen1 to gen2. The yellow wires should produce AC voltage to ground with the engine running, and what exactly that voltage is I would hope would be in the service manual. I would expect voltages above 36v, myself.

This doesn't test the regulator, but rather the stator. I mention the above since you're dealing with the stator wires that feed the regulator. The regulator can really only be tested by monitoring battery voltage.

There shouldn't be a difference in this area gen1 to gen2. The yellow wires should produce AC voltage to ground with the engine running, and what exactly that voltage is I would hope would be in the service manual. I would expect voltages above 36v, myself.

This doesn't test the regulator, but rather the stator. I mention the above since you're dealing with the stator wires that feed the regulator. The regulator can really only be tested by monitoring battery voltage.
Some time he get a no start and have to charge his battery to start the bike. So were would you start( regulator,or Stator) he has a new battery

Call the dealer and verify both bikes are on the recall. Just give em your Vin #. Mine was, it's an 09.

It's a 20 min job tops. Bring the bike to them without the belly faring, just one more thing they can't mess up.

I wired on a multimeter to the battery and rode the bike. It should show a reasonably steady 14vDC .... If its down towards 13v or up to 15v its a good sign the RR is toast.

Some time he get a no start and have to charge his battery to start the bike. So were would you start( regulator,or Stator) he has a new battery
What’s up man! Did you ever figure out the issue ? I am having the same problem, replaced the battery and rectifier was replaced under the recall in 2021. Just order a new rectifier but would want to compare notes w you as this thing driving me crazy and do t want to keep wasting $ on this guessing game. If the rectifier doesn’t resolve it then, the startor is next.

Back