how to tell if the battery is bad or if its the stator

john32303

Registered
hi all

i have an 06 busa. problem is that battery looses charge over time in bike. I can trickle charge it and it will hold a charge. but if i start my bike with a weak battery, and ride it for 30 mins, the battery is dead when i get off the bike.

are there any simple ways to check whats going on? would taking the battery to autozone and getting it tested be enough? or should i take it to the shop and pay through the nose?

thanks

I'd take the battery somewhere for a load test just to cover the obvious first.
If the battery will take and hold a charge from a trickle charger, but looses it's charge as the bike is running, I'd be betting more on the charging system being faulty.

Is that the original battery ? I'd pull it and take it fully charged to autozone for a load test. If it passes, then start checking that charging system.

original battery on an '06, i think you got your money's worth out of that one :beerchug: i'm getting about 2 years out of a battery before they go bad

Easy test for you. Get a voltmeter. Charged battery should show 12.6 V, although it may be higher if fresh off a charger (12.8 to 13 volts).

Start the engine. At idle, the battery should show at least 12.6 V. Rev the engine to 5000 RPM. You should show about 13.4 to 13.6 volts, which is the proper charging voltage.

If you're showing less than that, you have a problem. If the voltage really drops, like 11.5 volts, then either your stator or the rectifier is bad.

Turn the bike off. If your battery is less than 12.6 V after sitting a few minutes, your battery is shot. If it only a little low, you may be able to "rejuvenate" your battery with a product called "Battery Minder". This is a much better charger than a standard charger. Sold on Amazon.

Your battery is past is expected life. Start with a new battery and go from there.

as above mines on its 3rd and an 04 .

its a small battery and its in constant use with the lights alarms etc (if you have an alarm it will definitely be the battery kaput)

k so i called around and the best price on one in 100+ are there any websites anyone recommends on getting a battery? any particular brand?

hi all

i have an 06 busa. problem is that battery looses charge over time in bike. I can trickle charge it and it will hold a charge. but if i start my bike with a weak battery, and ride it for 30 mins, the battery is dead when i get off the bike.

are there any simple ways to check whats going on? would taking the battery to autozone and getting it tested be enough? or should i take it to the shop and pay through the nose?

thanks

If you charge the battery and it is capable of starting the bike - this means the battery is reasonably OK. When you ride the battery is supposed to be charged by the bike's charging system which is more powerful than your trickle charger. If the battery is dead after a 30 min ride, I would suspect your charging system. What's the voltage at idle and at 3000 rpm? If it's below 13.5V, something is up with your charging system.

3-5 years out of any battery so id say you got your money back on that one.. get a new one..not one of those bike master junks that auto zone will try and sell you and go from there..

I have an '06... had the same exact problem...
It was the battery... they last 3-5 years depending on taking care of them.
I went w/ a "BikeMaster" Gel battery, cranking power is ridiculously good!

I bought a replacement battery at Walmart (normally stocked item) for less than $60 bones. When my replacement Motobatt was delivered, I took it out. I never had any issues with it for the whole two months it was used. Wish you were closer to Cleveland Ohio!

I bought a Motobatt for my son's 1985 GS550. It was the only sealed battery I could find and no way was I putting in an old fashioned lead acid battery if I could avoid it. Must say that I am impressed with the Motobatt. Thing cranks like crazy in that 550.

Before you go and buy a new battery - you need to find the real problem. As stated if you can trikle charge and start the bike the battery isn't completly shot. When you where riding the bike did it run normally? Did the lights on dash dim, did the bike start hesistating, did the gauges start acting up? If your bike runs normally once started it is likely not your alternator/stator. Based on your description I think power is being siphoned off the battery during operation but not being charged. As stated if your bike is running normally and charge isn't returning to the battery you most likely have a bad or corroded electrical connection back to the battery - very common - I have batteries that appeared completely normal and one small tug on the + cable and it seperated because of corosion. If the continuity on the wiring test good it may be rectifier/regulator. A good visual inspection and continuity test with a multi-tester will probably reveal the problem... Two Cents

PS - You may in fact need a new battery, however it will be bled dry if you don't find the under lying problem...

Back