how to remove suspension links, ASAP!!!

ogre

Call me Liberace!
Registered
k, another member and myself are trading suspension links. he's sending some lowering links, at the same time, i'm sending him my stockers. problem is, i can't find something strong/small enough to fit through that hollow bolt in the frame. i was thinking of going and getting a chunk of rebar, but don't know if that will be small enough. help me out guys, i want to get these links out in the mail today.

As long as the weight is balanced (not suspended completely) you can twist it out with a wrench and pull at the same time with something behind the head...

If it's tight, get a punch tool (even a screwdriver will work)...should fit right in...be careful not to damage your threads~!~

Main thing is, balance the weight...you don't want the weight of the bike on the bolt and you don't want to hang the bike and let the weight of the swing arm on the bolt either, even suspension is key~!!~

Last edited:
but how do i keep the bike suspended for the 3 days it'll take to get the links from the other member, we're both sending em off today. i know how to get the bolt out, and can lift the bike for that. how do i keep the bike up until the lowering links arrive?

For the rear...I use a small jack. You have to be real careful, some close calls have occurred with one person doing this and you have a nice little tip over factor so again PLEASE BE CAREFUL~!!~

Anyway, I place a jack under the same hole you are talking about to support the weight. I have not left it sitting like this for days and usually slide the replacements right on, so maybe you should think about placing supports in other places as well. (don't use a bike stand...the bike will collapse as soon as this bolt is removed and without other support it will fall over)

Usually, I am lowering or raising the front end as well and have the front end hanging from a winch on the rafters (LoL)

bike winch lift.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully someone will give you better info for the gen 1, but this is the point I jack under the gen 2...the loop between the links.

Still wouldn't leave it up for 3 days, if you jack loses pressure your bike will fall

100_1821.jpg

Ogre I had my links off last week.
With bike on stand IT DID NOT RELIEVE WEIGHT enough to get the screws out.
After awhile I figured out to use the car jack from my Honda Accord.
Scissor jack with a nice flat pad on top.
I put the jack under oil pan right behind drain bolt.
I still had bike on both stands but slowy cranked the jack up to where the bolts came right out in my hand easy. No tool needed.
Took nuts off and just adjusted jack right to the perfect point where all lined up and slipped right out. Never completely lifted bike with jack but it changed the 'pressure' on the links so they would come out.
When the bike was on both stands and lifted with jack from pan it was a little shaky up there so be careful. After you get them out lower the jack down and bike will sit on stands.

I put like 10 of Adams little books under fender on top of rear tire so when lowering the jack bike doesnt come all the way down.
You still keep space between the two so you dont have to crank it all the way down to where fender sits on tire.

Need to borrow some stands or go to Cycle Gear and 'borrow' some for a few days. Afterward go return them and say 'He wanted black' ...:laugh:

Not sure if GenI would be same for you.

Last edited:
If your trying to lift the rear I always use the rear grab bar and a motor hoist. When lifting have someone steady the bike or it will swing a little when the tire leaves the ground. If I were to leave it for a few days I would support it to the rafters by the grab bar and get a floor jack and a 2 x 4 wrapped in towels to support the swing arm.

Outlaw you said above:
(don't use a bike stand...the bike will collapse as soon as this bolt is removed and without other support it will fall over)

Curious if by using both stands as well as jack to lift weight not bike so links would come out did I do it diff than you say not to or just got lucky things did not go wrong ?
On both stands when I used the jack to offset weight from shock it came right apart as easy as could be.
This is only after not being able to get them out without jack.
If I had without jack then I can see collapse and fall over, me under bike and my wife....well I shudder to think...

Whats your opinion ?

ps....We dont have rafters in Florida ?

Last edited:
I use an atv lift on mine. slide it under the oil pan and use the straps to put more weight toward the front of the bike. once you lift the rear wheel off the ground, you can put a little upward pressure on the swingarm to release the pressure off the bolts and they should slide right out. I leave my bike on the jack for days or weeks, it doesn't matter, as long as you have it strapped it will not move. sorry I'm at work so I don't have pics to post, but you can get the jack from Harbor Freight, wal-mart, cycle gear etc.

Outlaw you said above:

Curious if by using both stands as well as jack to lift weight not bike so links would come out did I do it diff than you say not to or just got lucky things did not go wrong ?
On both stands when I used the jack to offset weight from shock it came right apart as easy as could be.
This is only after not being able to get them out without jack.
If I had without jack then I can see collapse and fall over, me under bike and my wife....well I shudder to think...

Whats your opinion ?

ps....We dont have rafters in Florida ?

I didn't see exactly how it happened, I was working on something else and my bud in the driveway removing his link...had the back on the stand but not the front.

He did not tell me when he was going to actually remove it so I could assist and next thing I know the bike was over and on the driveway.

I believe he probably did not have enough support on the jack, and when the bolt was remove the rear end collapsed which took the force off the swing arm rings and it fell over.

k, figured out the easiest way, just needed some coffee. fairings are already off, i have sliders, i just gently laid the bike over on the right side slider, onto a towel in the garage. links came right out, good to go. checked out the travel while it was over, omg, that tiger tail really lets it tuck. i guess i need a lowered kickstand now. friggin neverending spending.

I see.
I see now that if I had not had jack there and been lucky or unlucky enough to have gotten screws out it would have slammed to the ground and prolly collapsed.

Also like I said the amount of jack I had to give it lifted it to a point where it was a bit tipsy but once I got screws out and supported fender on top of tire I let it down and it became rock solid again.

Back up an do it again >

You laid it over on the side...?
Pics of that process are now in demand.......Hans or is it Frans ?

Ogre is it safe to click your sig or are my speakers and ears gonna blow like when I clicked 'Hayas' ?

yes ogre i want pics of it on the side too ..def want to see that since its not an accident but im glad you figured a way to get them off without damage to your bike :laugh:

On its side for a period of time? might want to leave it upright over night after install. Oil going be all up in the upper part of the motor?

Thing to take note if you try the bar threw the center whole... make sure it's strong enough and won't bend. If it bends,then you'll have a pita of a time getting the bar out.

On its side for a period of time? might want to leave it upright over night after install. Oil going be all up in the upper part of the motor?

Thing to take note if you try the bar threw the center whole... make sure it's strong enough and won't bend. If it bends,then you'll have a pita of a time getting the bar out.

it never even occurred to me that you may have been asking what to stick in the hole to let the bike rest on for 3 days...i figured you were trying to knock the bolt out~!~

But...while your at it, just turn it upside down like a bicycle THEN POST UP SOME PICS~!!~ :laugh:

Last edited:
Laid it on its side??

You hear a new one everyday :rofl:

The first time I changed links, I took off the belly wing and put a jack under the bracket. I never had stands at the time. Had my father there to stabilize it and jacked it up and let it rest on the sidestand and front wheel

Back