Adjustable Lowering Links To Raise Bike?

TheJwexperience

Registered
i have a set of adjustable links that are about 5.1-5.2" eye to eye. My front is stock height. I'm wondering if I can take a little weight off the rear and loosen the jam nuts then adjust the length back down to stock without Un-bolting anything. Anyone know what kind of links I have? It's on a gen 1 and I believe it's supposed to be at 4.7". Thanks for any help.
I am debating on just buying stock links for $15 bucks but could save myself some work if I can get my current links to stock length.

image.jpeg

Yes you can do that. That is the advantage of having a turnbuckle link. Just make sure they are both the same length when your done.

Thanks guys. I just adjusted them and it looks like they topped out at about 4.8". Feels a little higher now when I sit on it. I thought my last busa was close to putting me on my toes but maybe I grew in my late twenties!

I'm also wondering how the adjustments affect the ride. Will shortening the links stiffen the rear?
My rear seemed to be a little spongy when it was lowered which is why I ask. It's a '06 with 14k miles and I weight 215lbs. I had a busa prior to this one that was completely stock which is what I'm basing the spongy feel off.

Have you set the preload on your rear shock for your weight? Ride hight should affect your handling, not the ride. You need to adjust your preload, compression, and rebound for your weight and riding style.

Reactions: c10
Being that it is a Gen 1 even with low mileage the nitrogen could of long since left the building . Most riders forget that the shocks do not last forever , and require servicing like all other parts . I'm not sure if a Gen II fits in a Gen I , but if it did could be a good time to find a late model take off for a swap . While in there it would be advised to lube/grease all pivot locations , and shaft through bolts .
If money is of no issue then a aftermarket shock is a improvement over O.E.M. They range from $400 to 2000 model dependent .
Even in most applications they lower priced aftermarket will out perform oem . Hagon , and other makers will spring the shock for your weight .
That is a step in the right direction :) A Hago shock with Remote pre load adjuster is about 575 with a single dial 50/50 compresion , and rebound adjuster . I ran one on my 2012 FJR1300 for 4 years , and what a joy over O.E.M. You also have Penske / Ohlins , but open the pocket book wide .

I did not adjust the preload but did adjust the front and rear damp/rebound per sportbike magazines setup. It prob does need a rebuild, I'm not a canyon carver but do push it every so often so I like my stuff functioning properly. A gen 2 takeoff would be fine for me if it fits.

Others will (hopefully) chime in but I believe the GenII Shock is ~.5" longer c-c than the GenI but they bolt right up. The effect would be similar to installing Raising links on a GenI.

Ok, thanks for the info! Since I made the adjustment the shock feels a little better. I think it also adjusted the pivot point slightly and being lowered by 1-2" made it feel softer.

Others will (hopefully) chime in but I believe the GenII Shock is ~.5" longer c-c than the GenI but they bolt right up. The effect would be similar to installing Raising links on a GenI.

Tough to tell much of a difference in the pics but the rear is raised 1-2" and handling is more neutral. The bike doesn't want to stand up so much when I'm trying to corner.
Definitely the fastest color, worth ten hp at the wheel!!!!!:moon:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back