how to I take the front axle nut off?

trevor

Registered
Im currently trying to take off the front wheel so I can get the fork seals replaced, not having any luck getting the axle nut off. The manual that i have is not very clear . Do i have to hold the other side( spacer nut ) from turning? if so, with what?

A millwright at work gave me a hex shape piece of bar stock that was the correct dimension for the front axle. I just put a regular socket on the end of it and proceed to ratchet off the reverse axle nut. I can't even remember what size it is I just know it is one of my special tools in my tool box. I can't change the wheel without it.

Linky Or you can go the cheap route and just get a 24mm bolt and 2 nuts. Lock the nuts together and put the bolt head in the axle and unscrew the axle. You don't have to hold anything on the other side, it screws right into the fork.

Gen I or Gen II, Gen I loosen the two allen screws under the axle on the brake side, then install an axle removal tool. 5/8 or 24mm doesn't matter, the 24mm is best. Keep up with how you disassembled for reassembly. Some feel that's it's important to support the two calipers vs. letting them hang. Good luck.

Gen I or Gen II, Gen I loosen the two allen screws under the axle on the brake side, then install an axle removal tool. 5/8 or 24mm doesn't matter, the 24mm is best. Keep up with how you disassembled for reassembly. Some feel that's it's important to support the two calipers vs. letting them hang. Good luck.

i think he ment to say 7/8!!!

i think he ment to say 7/8!!!

i was looking this up and seen a few diffrent sizes people used (did a search). in the quote above you said use a 5/8 or 24mm if im not mistaking those sizes are a pretty big diffrnece with the 24mm being allot bigger???? a more relivent size would be 7/8, right? i work with fastenal so i decided to go and get a few bolts and got to looking the 5/8 seems kinda small for the axle, im not sure i dont have my bike here to test it. i have a gen 1(05) what is the correct size????

IIRC, 7/8" bolt/nuts is what you need for the front axle

24mm if you want to eliminate any chance of messin up the axle. It's a metric bike, not standard. Use metric sizes to do the job right.

:thumbsup: that's what i thought it was, 5/8 seemed small??? do you know if it is the same on a gsxr 600(the front axle size)?

Last edited:
I have had my axle out several times with no special tools .

Just loosen the pinch bolts on the non threaded side and loosen axle .

My brother's TL1000r and my buddy's gsxr1000 have identical setups ...

We change tires in my garage all the time , never using special hex tools

.:confused2:

I have had my axle out several times with no special tools .

Just loosen the pinch bolts on the non threaded side and loosen axle .

My brother's TL1000r and my buddy's gsxr1000 have identical setups ...

We change tires in my garage all the time , never using special hex tools

.:confused2:

The front axle has to be torqued to 72.5 foot pounds.
How do you do that and then undo it without the tool?

I have a '99 Busa the axle sticks out so you can get a large socket on it .

I just noticed a picture of newer 'Busas the axle is flush requiring a hex key.

Sorry about the confusion :)

Last edited:
I use a 24MM 3/4" drive Allen wrench...

P3170845.JPG

Back