how do I take the front axle nut off?

trevor

Registered
Im currently trying to take off the front wheel so I can get the fork seals replaced, not having any luck getting the axle nut off. The manual that i have is not very clear . Do i have to hold the other side( spacer nut ) from turning? if so, with what?

Part #5 screws into part #6
Part #6 is held in place by the 2 pinch bolts at the bottom of the fork.
Part #5 is screwed in and tightened with a troque wrench to the specified torque, and then held in by the 2 pinch bolts on that fork leg.
It comes off in the reverse.
Do you have the tool to fit into the large hex end of #5?

Picture1.gif

I use one of the Chrome-moly hex axle tools (the $29.90, right hand version)..Motion Pro - Axle

Take the pinch bolts loose on the RIGHT side only and use the tool to screw the axle out.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
If you don't have the tool a coupler for a 5/8 threaded rod will fit perfectly.
(any good hardware store), and a socket on the end.

Axle tool.JPG

thanks guys you,re awsome! I loosened the pinch bolts on both sides. # 6 was spinning. I got it now:beerchug:

Be especially careful during the reverse procedure! Bad things can happen if you dont follow specifications. u kno, loose wheel....:rulez:

I think if you have a spark plug socket and a 3" extension, you can flip the socket around and use that....

I think i used a 17 or 19 mm bolt with 2 nuts back to back with a lock washer to get mine out...

It's a 24MM hex that fits; I use a 3/4" drive setup to remove mine. It also fits the swingarm pivot bolt as well...

Back