How to check your forks for early leaks!

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I just read BigDawg76's thread asking how to check the forks for leaks after finding a puddle of oil under his front.

I've been through countless fork seals over the course of many years. I was just like BigDawg for a long time, I'd prep for a ride only to find a puddle under the fork leg which spoiled my entire day. Instead of riding I'd stay home and replace fork seals.

Over time I developed this simple little trick that gave me an early warning that the fork seal was getting close to failure. Fork seals don't just blow out as some may think. They start by weeping ever so slightly and over time become a puddle on the garage floor.

What I do now and have for a long time is every couple of rides I rub my finger up each lower fork tube then rub the finger against the thumb to check for any signs of moisture. Once I find the slightest sign of oil I know I'm not far from seal failure. Allows me to replace the seal at my convenience before it reaches the puddle on the floor stage. Beats the heII out of going out some warm summer morning to load up for a track day only to find the bike won't pass tech with a leaking fork seal.

Works great every time and fool proof. :beerchug:

PS: Once you find oil on the tube call Charlie "TwoBrothersBusa" @ 911-IDOTUBES and make an appointment. :whistle:

Well Thank You Sir!

Little things like this sometimes are the most benificial and would have never occurred to me if I had not had issues with leaking seals myself.

This is great! Reaffirms what I've been doing for years prior to each ride and after each ride out of fear of fork oil leak.

Now, let me throw in a slightly different question. I noticed a few dark spots on the back of the tubes in the middle of the visible fork travel. The spots do get darker and larger over time. The surface seems smooth to the touch and no different by feel than any other portion of the fork. Tried to wipe the fork with paper towel sprayed with WD40, followed by a wipe with dry paper towel only (I do this periodically to wipe small particles of dirt). This has no effect on dark spots.

The shape of the spots clearly relates to the fork movement up and and down - they are stretched along the fork somewhat. It almost seems like the fork coating is being scraped away revealing the darker foundation.

Dang! That's not inspiring. It's like coming to a doctor and he says, Hmm... never seen that before. Well, I'll be keeping an eye on it even more so.

What are the risks while riding with a blown fork seal? I'm assuming dampening will be all but not existant. Is their anything else to worry about?

What are the risks while riding with a blown fork seal? I'm assuming dampening will be all but not existant. Is their anything else to worry about?

Worst of all is fork oil on your brakes and tire not to mention the bike not reacting how it should

Ever since i did mine i do the same thing everytime i get on it, quick run on the tubes to make sure they're still dry

Anyone know what the problem is with the seals on these forks, seems to me everyone with a suzuki sport bikes knows about these crappy seals. I have tried all balls seals with the same results. My other bikes have the original seals for 20 plus years. I am on my second set at 19,000 kilometers. Is it just the sport bikes or Suzuki seals in general? Guess yamaha make much better fork seals.

I have 33k on my Busa and yet to have an issue with them. Have i just been lucky? how long have they been known to last?

I've blown mine out twice in two months..........maybe I need to keep the front end down
Posted via Mobile Device

Im sorry to say. here but Steve you know how i maintain my bike, and i have had a seal go while i was out on a single trip!
Left the house, in the am, road 320 mile, and it was soaked!

Im sorry to say. here but Steve you know how i maintain my bike, and i have had a seal go while i was out on a single trip!
Left the house, in the am, road 320 mile, and it was soaked!

I wouldn't say a seal can't just give up suddenly but I can say I've never had that experience. I should have said "Generally" they always begin with a weep.

You do indeed take tender loving care of your busa!

I've got one starting to weep a little. Just one, the right side leg, left is bone dry. Kinda wondering if it has anything to do with the off last fall. May just take 'em to the shop up the road to have new seals put in while I have the front off of it.

Back