How to be a SQUID

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
I did some research once to determine the meaning and origin of the cycling term SQUID. The only thing that made sense was some cyclist/writer guy who saw a KID acting SQUIRRELLY on a crotch rocket: Squirrel-Kid = SQUID was born. So for newbies that need more clarity, please consult the following list with pictures to make sure you get it right.

1) buy overly fast motorcycle so you can LOOK cooler and gloss over your lack of experince
2) dress normal. like shorts, sandles and tropical shirt when weather allows [see pic]
3) helmet optional in some states and wind in your hair feels SOOOO GOOD... plus hotties can see what you look like
4) wake up early on a saturday morning, decide to go on a bagel run for breakfast, and test out that age old theory that accidents happen mostly within a couple miles of your home
5) ride it like you stole it because you probably won't live long enough to enjoy it on another day

squid1.JPG

so this morning, I got on the world's fastest production bike, dressed like this, with my helmet [I'm not THAT dumb], and went for a bagel run within 2 miles of my apartment.

6) post pics of how dumb you are on your favorite message board so everyone can flame their displeasure at for beign such a poor example

squid2.JPG

Note: This was a joke. I ride fully suited 85% of the time with the other 15% swapping the leather pants for jeans. Although I did ride 2 miles this morning dressed like, I also knew the route was very low traffic and I felt completely unprotected and unsafe the whole way. After you get used to something, it can be hard going back.

Gear. It does a body good.

smallkneedown.jpg

yeah I know all about not wearing gear.

I saw a guy just yesterday that was wearing shorts with sandels and NO SHIRT

I just laughed and thought man I would hate to see him go down.
laugh.gif

Squid = what one of these guys looks like when they begin to scrape his carcass off the highway with a snow shovel from a 140mph crash in his tennis shoes, shorts, and wife beater top. I guess they could have used the term octopuss.. like the ones thrown on the ice in hockey.. that's about what a squid looks like.. but I guess that word was too long.
smile.gif

si.

Now you know that any self respecting squid would not be caugth wearing gloves way to much protective gear.
biggrin.gif

It always amazes me when I see some guy with shorts and no shirt or tank top and sandels (how do you shift with sandals on). I have to admit that I dont ride with full leathers ever (I don't own any) but I always ride with my jacket(armored), long pants, gloves, helmet and boots. Even when it is 100 degrees I'll wear the gear

good for you jumbo! and all you gear wearers. I dont enjoy riding like this anymore. I like feeling and looking like Rossi.... children smile and point, girls swOOn, people laugh. I feel safer

I don't own all of the gear either but, I do wear what I have "most" times. I am not an example to live by, I take risks, and it is knowingly. I always recommend full gear to people that ask and explain how cool my leathers can be in a hot climate to try to encourage them. I know that unsafe feeling too, I used to ride with no gear when I rode a cruiser but, since switching, I make myself wear it, and now that I have I feel more at risk without it.

Gloves, armored jacket, good shoei helmet, heavy boots,and jeans.....always..now there are some very good armored pants..thats next..always...???

Note:  This was a joke.  I ride fully suited 85% of the time with the other 15% swapping the leather pants for jeans.  Although I did ride 2 miles this morning dressed like, I also knew the route was very low traffic and I felt completely unprotected and unsafe the whole way.  After you get used to something, it can be hard going back.

Gear.  It does a body good.
This has to be one of the funniest pictures I've seen on this board!!
Is this actually you WW
rock.gif

ya, it's me at a friends's place hanging off on turn 3 of the "Waukee Driveway Oval". I almost lost it but I just kept leaning it over and that white rubber stuck like double sided carpet tape! Whew!
Here's another one. I wonder if I have a fetish for little girly bikes or something??

greg.JPG

WWJD, you wearing to much gear in your pics. When I ride, its Flip flops, beach shorts, No shirt, no gloves, definetly no helmet, and of course, if no cops are around no eye protection.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Funny, you kind of look like my Harley riding hubby in that get up
rock.gif
Yeah, he doesn't wear gear and I hate it, but hey, to each his own...I'm not his mother...

Funny thing is that I have been noting how many sportbikers wear gear while the Harley guys are out riding in t-shirts and shorts, but lately, all I see are guys on sportbikes with just a helmet and gloves...here I've been bragging about the sportbikers, and then I pass them in shorts and t-shirts...
wow.gif

Va.. yep.. down here in Orlando I've seen the same guy on a 'busa twice with no gear except gloves.. not even a helmet.
mad.gif

si.

I love seeing these kids on 10 thousand plus dollar bikes with 500 dollar helmets but no shirt, shorts and flip-flops. But hey...they'll save their parents some money for funeral costs because they'll only have to bury a helmet with a head in it, everything else will be getting hosed off the highway.

Note:  This was a joke.  I ride fully suited 85% of the time with the other 15% swapping the leather pants for jeans.  Although I did ride 2 miles this morning dressed like, I also knew the route was very low traffic and I felt completely unprotected and unsafe the whole way.  After you get used to something, it can be hard going back.

Gear.  It does a body good.
First of all does your daughter know what youre doing with here wheels while she's away at the day care
rock.gif

second Speaking of squid have you seen These Ghost Rider videos? They're cool as hell but damn man
super.gif
(he has on gear does that make him a squid?)

<!--EDIT|him
Reason for Edit: "added ghost rider bit"|1087251867 -->

Back