How To Adjust Chain Slack On Stretch Evil Arm?

Jose J Ortega

Registered
Hi guys... I both this busa already stretch to 16". I notice that the chain need to be loosened for more slack. How do you adjust it with this swing arm? Thank you in advance.

20171229_004837.jpg

20171229_004848.jpg

I will give it a go , and describe how I would go about it . 1) Looks like you will need a spanner for disc side and socket or spanner to suit the axle nut . Also 2 spanners to fit those 2 rear nuts on the adjuster thread . 2) Before you start check if chain has a distinct tight spot , and if too tight , your chain is probably stuffed , but if it isn't much tighter than the rest , you should be okay . 3) I cannot see any axle guide slots on the swingarm , so before you do anything and presuming your axle is in alignment , try to mark the center of the axle on both ends of the actual axle and swingarm , using a piece of masking tape and magic marker . Attach this to top of swingarm running length wise , close as , to axle head and using that magic marker , mark axle center position . 4) We continue , trust your chain is okay , and leave wheel positioned , so tight chain section is underside of chain run , middle of chain length between wheel and frame . 5) Remove jesus clip , and undo axle nut with tools , enough so you can move the nut by hand and a nice small gap between nut and swingarm , leave nut on axle . 6) With the 2 smaller spanners , loosen both nuts on both sides of swingarm out toward end of thread , exposing roughly 1 cm or 3/8" thread and keeping both side fairly even . . 7) Then without turning/ disturbing the wheel , push the wheel forward so the 2 nuts but up against the adjuster plate . (NOTE ; The sprocket / chain is the side of swingarm that dictates the deciding tension , so dictates the movement needed , the other side just has to match it ideally exactly at the same position and therefore tension ) . 8) Check chain tension , you want play from where chain sits in relaxed middle to have at least an inch and 1/2 or even a bit more in either up or down movement for the long length chain . I think this will be alright for tension , but I got to say this is my first extended adjustment , and if I'm wrong please someone chime in . Okay , now you have got to take into account , your weight on the bike in the final tension , so if you are happy with the initial adjustment , 9) carefully with spanner hold the adjuster nut flush to swingarm end plate still , and lock the other but just bite up against it . Now first hand tighten then carefully tool tighten axle nut so tight enough not to move and back wheel on the ground , 10) sit on bike and check tension . If you feel happy with the tension or it has dramatically tightened up then back on stand and repeat 6, 7, 8 . Repeat with sit on bike check till you are happy with the tight spot tension with rider . 11) Okay , so now I would mark the tape where the axle line mark is , an measure the distance either side to see if you have them even , if not adjust the disc side back or forward a touch to match other sprocket side . 12) Now lock up nuts on back adjusters as described earlier ( not hard ) yet and tighten the axle nut by hand then carefully by your tools . Now fully tighten the adjuster nuts . Rear axle nut torque is 72.5 ft lb or 100 nm . Lube chain .

Well let me be the first to say, that rear axel is not right. I would not be trusting my life to that. The last pic shows the shoulder looking very odd. I wouldnt ride that an inch till i resolved it.

what I see in the picture is not adjustable? Looks like you can chose the front or rear hole but there is no fine adjustment. I'm not a stretch guy but I would call the swing arm mfg and ask them what parts are missing. If its a custom arm, I would not ride it. Hope I'm wrong on this one buddy...

It looks like the internal block has holes for the axle, and then it can be adjusted with the nuts at the end of the swing arm. Agree with above though, I dont like the looks of that arm and it appears the axles needs to rotate 90* so the flat spots line up with the grooves in the swing arm. Its does not appear to me that the arm is made for that bike, or axle. It looks like it was "made" to work.

what I see in the picture is not adjustable? Looks like you can chose the front or rear hole but there is no fine adjustment. I'm not a stretch guy but I would call the swing arm mfg and ask them what parts are missing. If its a custom arm, I would not ride it. Hope I'm wrong on this one buddy...

The adjustment is loosening the nut and jam nut, and tightening/loosening the nut against the end of the arm.
That moves the block with the 3 holes in it back and forth.
The axle nut locks it down.
Basically the same as stock, just looks a little different.

The adjustment is loosening the nut and jam nut, and tightening/loosening the nut against the end of the arm.

Got it... thank you Sixpack577

Jose , I'm thinking ..., really I should of said the whole set up is looking like more than a bit suspect / dangerous .. , and really bro , IMO you should look into a replacement swingarm when you can fund it , and really before you get on and ride it . I should of thought through my response , so for that I am sorry , always better to err on safety , believe me . I can tell you really like your bike , and it will be worthwhile finding a Gen 1 specific swingarm for it , check what the people on the Org. are running , do some research on what arm you like , and go from there . Good luck and let us know how you go . :thumbsup:

Jose , I'm thinking ..., really I should of said the whole set up is looking like more than a bit suspect / dangerous .. , and really bro , IMO you should look into a replacement swingarm when you can fund it , and really before you get on and ride it . I should of thought through my response , so for that I am sorry , always better to err on safety , believe me . I can tell you really like your bike , and it will be worthwhile finding a Gen 1 specific swingarm for it , check what the people on the Org. are running , do some research on what arm you like , and go from there . Good luck and let us know how you go . :thumbsup:
Thank you Roadtoad for your concern I really appreciated. I agree always safety first... just couple hrs ago I MSG Evil Arms on FB with the pictures and they say that all looks ok. Tuesday I will go to a Custom shop that is very close from my house to inspect the swingarm. I will keep you guys updated. Thank you again Roadtoad

Last edited:
Jose- picture two : your axle is at 12 and 6 position, loosen the nut with the lock pin and rotate the axle to the 3 and 9 position so the flat side of the axle is parallel to the swingarm. See my pic.

IMG_20171229_172148273.jpg

I will give it a go , and describe how I would go about it . 1) Looks like you will need a spanner for disc side and socket or spanner to suit the axle nut . Also 2 spanners to fit those 2 rear nuts on the adjuster thread . 2) Before you start check if chain has a distinct tight spot , and if too tight , your chain is probably stuffed , but if it isn't much tighter than the rest , you should be okay . 3) I cannot see any axle guide slots on the swingarm , so before you do anything and presuming your axle is in alignment , try to mark the center of the axle on both ends of the actual axle and swingarm , using a piece of masking tape and magic marker . Attach this to top of swingarm running length wise , close as , to axle head and using that magic marker , mark axle center position . 4) We continue , trust your chain is okay , and leave wheel positioned , so tight chain section is underside of chain run , middle of chain length between wheel and frame . 5) Remove jesus clip , and undo axle nut with tools , enough so you can move the nut by hand and a nice small gap between nut and swingarm , leave nut on axle . 6) With the 2 smaller spanners , loosen both nuts on both sides of swingarm out toward end of thread , exposing roughly 1 cm or 3/8" thread and keeping both side fairly even . . 7) Then without turning/ disturbing the wheel , push the wheel forward so the 2 nuts but up against the adjuster plate . (NOTE ; The sprocket / chain is the side of swingarm that dictates the deciding tension , so dictates the movement needed , the other side just has to match it ideally exactly at the same position and therefore tension ) . 8) Check chain tension , you want play from where chain sits in relaxed middle to have at least an inch and 1/2 or even a bit more in either up or down movement for the long length chain . I think this will be alright for tension , but I got to say this is my first extended adjustment , and if I'm wrong please someone chime in . Okay , now you have got to take into account , your weight on the bike in the final tension , so if you are happy with the initial adjustment , 9) carefully with spanner hold the adjuster nut flush to swingarm end plate still , and lock the other but just bite up against it . Now first hand tighten then carefully tool tighten axle nut so tight enough not to move and back wheel on the ground , 10) sit on bike and check tension . If you feel happy with the tension or it has dramatically tightened up then back on stand and repeat 6, 7, 8 . Repeat with sit on bike check till you are happy with the tight spot tension with rider . 11) Okay , so now I would mark the tape where the axle line mark is , an measure the distance either side to see if you have them even , if not adjust the disc side back or forward a touch to match other sprocket side . 12) Now lock up nuts on back adjusters as described earlier ( not hard ) yet and tighten the axle nut by hand then carefully by your tools . Now fully tighten the adjuster nuts . Rear axle nut torque is 72.5 ft lb or 100 nm . Lube chain .

Love the info ROADTADO1340 ... Update: I verify the swing arm with a Custom Motorcycle shop and they said that the swing arm is the correct one for my busa.

The manual indicates that the chain adjustment has to be done placing the its side-stand for accurate adjustment. On you instructions indicates to adjust it siting on the bike. Which will be better for the adjustment with a stretch swing arm?

Sitting on the bike.
Your weight compresses the rear shock, and tightens the chain.
An extra set of hands always helps, but you should be able to reach the chain sitting on the bike. A bent metal coat hanger if you can't, to hook the chain and pull up to see how much slack you have.
Get off, adjust, snug, re-check, tighten, torque.
Double check it's even on both sides and chain is straight.

Sitting on the bike.
Your weight compresses the rear shock, and tightens the chain.
An extra set of hands always helps, but you should be able to reach the chain sitting on the bike. A bent metal coat hanger if you can't, to hook the chain and pull up to see how much slack you have.
Get off, adjust, snug, re-check, tighten, torque.
Double check it's even on both sides and chain is straight.

Will do that ... Thank you sixpack577

Back