how much is lost between the engine and the wheel ?

CopMagnet5oh

Registered
my 99 suppose to have 173hp at the crank and it dynoed at 153rwhp, so is that 12-13 % loss an average for those bikes ?

im taking mine in for some dyno tuning, after the winter mods, so just wanted to know if 12-13 % is normal.

thanks.

- Kons

Numbers vary from dyno to dyno. The thing to look for when you are getting it dyno tuned is the difference between before and after the tune on the same dyno under the same conditions. The biggest gains usually aren't in peak HP/torque, but in the power coming on sooner and smoother. Of course it depends on what mods you've done to the bike as well.

10 to 12% is about normal. The manufacturer's horse power figures are at the crank you loose about 10 to 12% from the trans, chain rotating mass of the rear wheel ect.

Suzuki states that 99-07 busa come with 175 HP at the crank and 157 HP at the back tire , These spec's are on a stock bike from the factory stated by Suzuki.
I have personal see where guys have dyno'd stock bike and the numbers were different on almost all of them,, One man stated he had 180 hp stock and others fell below the norm,,but all that ive seen were within 5 hp range, But most data that Ive seen the average HP was close to the suzuki claim, ,So yes . IMO , Your bike is in the normal range and your HP math on the difference from the HP from the crank to the rear tire are sound.

Last edited:
Back