How Much HP Lost When Stretching?

SavoBusa

Registered
Anyone know about how much HP is lost to the rear wheel when you stretch 4-6 inches? I know it potentially adds some weight depending on the kit installed. And, if you put a dual-geared 300 or bigger kit, you'll probably lose even more HP since you are transferring the power through an extra sprocket. Anybody got any other info on this subject?

I dont think you loose any from just stretching....if any maybe 1hp. THe jackshaft ( dual cog ) that on a 300 or bigger kit, loose a lot more. Depending on the size of tire ( thats a lot of weight right there to turn). WIth my 330 kit on the MULLET...its pulls about 25HP away from the motor. Yep the the performance gains I did....lost most of it to the 330 tire.

stretching does not effect hp......

adding a giant 300 + sized wheel will, due to increased rotaional mass of that giant wheel and tire.

Thanks for the info, everyone! I guess I worded my original question a little weird. I WAS referring to stretching and a fat tire, not just stretching alone. Thanks again!

Even a 240 will knock HP down a little, But damn does it look good, Add Nitrous and get it back :thumbsup:

HP does nothing at all..

weight added? yep.. and some additional loss because of a few extra chain links.. but if you loose a couple pounds off the gut, not net change in ET... :)

I think more loss is had in the "handling" dept... if you are a blvd cruiser or only straight line stuff? have fun.... if you want to do any thing that roughly resembles spirited cornering... skip it.... if you want to "feel" like you are cornering.. then stretch it too.. has an odd effect of making you feel a lot more extreme than you really are.. (do know that your cornering ability is going down.. hopefully not with the you and the bike) :)

I dont believe you lose horsepower, but that big bird will fly with a twist of the wrist and a good set of skins, my 05 is stretched 8inches with some Michilen Pilot Powers and it bites, 4 - 6 you should be good.:thumbsup:

stretching in theory will affect hp at the rear wheel.

Loss through rotational mass, drag etc.

Put a bike on a dyno...run a properly tensioned chain and then loosen it with slack and see the hp drop. The more chain you add, the more potential for stretching of that chain and slack occurring. So in prime from...the loss would be slight. As slack grows, your numbers will drop.

stretchd mine 9" but she sure dont feel any slower:whistle:

lose mebbe 1-2 hp from stretchin-big rims/tires cost you the same...jackshaft will yank 20+ too but add a few teeth to rear sprocket and you shud be ok.

I dont think you loose any from just stretching....if any maybe 1hp. THe jackshaft ( dual cog ) that on a 300 or bigger kit, loose a lot more. Depending on the size of tire ( thats a lot of weight right there to turn). WIth my 330 kit on the MULLET...its pulls about 25HP away from the motor. Yep the the performance gains I did....lost most of it to the 330 tire.

I agree it is all relative

Back