How many miles...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
On a 1-10 scale with 1 being a first time rider and 10 a track guru, if you ride at a 7-8 level how many miles should brake pads and rotors last? Of course the rear is almost never used.

Good question.

Seeing that you are in Florida and you have a traffic light every 300 yards or so.

You probably get a lot less than I do with only a stop sign every 20 miles or so.

6000-8000 I would guess out front.

Backs 25000 +

On a 1-10 scale with 1 being a first time rider and 10 a track guru, if you ride at a 7-8 level how many miles should brake pads and rotors last?  Of course the rear is almost never used.
The front: 4500 miles, rear: 25000 miles
+ 1
thumb_up.gif
feel better now thought it was me being hard on the front
fart.gif

Some people will go the life of the bike without changing rotors.

7-8 out of 10 on the street?
I don't think it's pads and rotors you need to buy.

Probably good life insurance would be more appropriate.
cool.gif

3200 miles on the front pads and replaced them for the EBC HH pads. Not because they were worn, but because I upgraded lines to SS lines and now the bike stops much much faster with less effort and a true comfort on the track.
Image7.jpg

cool.gif
8-9 riding is done in secure rural areas not in traffic...5-6 with regular riding. And I do have a $1M LI policy.
winkold.gif

I changed front pads and brake fluid on my 2001 gsxr 1k @ 39,000 and the rear pads still looked new, i do 99.9% highway riding though, no cruising around town stuff.

cool.gif
8-9 riding is done in secure rural areas not in traffic...5-6 with regular riding.  And I do have a $1M LI policy.
winkold.gif
8 to 9, let's call that 8.5
busa top speed 189mph
8.5 is to 10
as 161 is to 189

161 miles an hour on rural roads!
I'd say yer hauling some azz!

clap.gif

bowdown.gif

cheers
ken

cool.gif
ill start again, didnt make it very clear, i changed the front rotors at 27k mainly because they were taty, i fitted petal type discs from ebc but used oe pads, but they only lasted about 4500 miles (i think to soft for disc)im now using ebc hh these should be better

cool.gif
8-9 riding is done in secure rural areas not in traffic...5-6 with regular riding.  And I do have a $1M LI policy.
winkold.gif
8 to 9, let's call that 8.5
busa top speed 189mph
8.5 is to 10
as 161 is to 189

161 miles an hour on rural roads!
I'd say yer hauling some azz!

clap.gif

bowdown.gif

cheers
ken
Well, I end up hitting the I80+ mph indicated at some point during "rural" rides w/ a 17/43 set-up, but most of that 8.5 riding is done through the turns. I'll coast then gun it before the fun sections come up.

Posted in another thread yesterday, but I had the pleasure of meeting a guy on the bike below (Suzuki RGV 250) and racing him through the twisty parts. He was pretty fast through the turns because the bike only weighs 238 lbs. but he just didn't have the horses (45) to carry his momentum and I would end up blowing by him with a twist. The smell and sound of the bike screams Moto GP. Really felt like racing.

Suzuki_RGV_250.jpg

Back