How many change their own tires?

See if I can explain a tire balance method.
Using a jig that supports the axle level and carry the weight of the wheel. Allowing you to grasp both axle ends with your fingers and thumb.
For the Busa with hollowed Axle bolts. The jig is simple as metal rod through the axle supported on both ends. Those who have width adjustable bike stands. Support the steel rod with clearance not to bind the axle bolt.
Proceedure to balance. Grasp the axle bolts ends. Rotate a small 1/16th rotation repeatedly clockwise then counterclockwise. It'll break the slight friction the bearings have and not influence tire rotation. The tire will begin to move freely. The heavy spot forces the tire to turn. When it stops turning the heaviest spot is at the lowest point on the tire. Masking tape a wheel weight on the upper rim. Repeat the small 1/16th rotations on the axle to test the new balance.
It's very sensative method that'll pick out weight imbalances of a weigh of a 1/4" thin washer.
Here it's the method of choice for professional race teams. They have resources for the most sophisticated machines but they have mechanics doing it by hand.
I'll give that a go next time. I followed the Kawi service manual method (sort of the same except you use 1/4 turns instead of 1/16 turns. Best I could tell, unless I didn't do something right neither wheel needed weights. I guess I'll know when I ride it if it's out of balance and I need to do it differently to get it right.
rock.gif

Curiosty peeked.... Always wanted to try this but never gave it a shot...
I just figured the machine would be crap because of the price but I just kept hearing of locals who had them and used them to mount their own tires and they all liked the machine. I finally decided to give it a shot and I'm glad I did. I can save a LOT of gas money by doing this myself.
wink.gif

Trick to make tire installation easy... While spooning tire on, be sure that the opposite side of the tire is in the Drop center (The deepest part) of the rim. Start installing the tire from the side of the rim closest to the drop center. This way you will not be stretching the bead of the tire enough to cause damage. You should be able to push the first bead over the rim by hand with no tools by pushing alternately on the left then the right working your way around as long as you lubed it enough. If not you will only have to use a tool for the last 2 inches. As far as lube goes, A good thick dawn/water mixture will work. Before you set teh bead simply wipe the inside of the rim clean and dry. This will prevent corrosion and insure a good balance. Most tire lubricants are nothing more than vegetable based soaps that look like grease. In my other life, I changed everything from golf cart tires up to the BIG tires on articulating Farm tractors and Loader tires. All easily done with hand tools and lubrication ( OK, the loader tires I cheated and used a power pack and a crane
blush.gif
) It's not a hard thing to do and DEFINATELY NOT worth paying $30 wheel like they get around here!
BT I like to work on my own stuff as much as possible also. I may not know everything a "certified" mechanic knows but I am confident what I do is done correctly and all the little details were attended to!
smile.gif
Thanks for the Dawn tip.
beerchug.gif
I kind of figured that would work. And you're right. The first side went on by hand effortlessly. You're also right about getting the top bead down into the drop center. I've watched enough folks do car tires to pick up on that. Works like a charm!
wink.gif

I have changed & balanced 3 tires in the last month with out a tire machine. A good set of spoons goes a long ways!! I static balance them on jack stands as mentioned above & haven't had a problem yet. Other than the rim protector slipped the last time I changed my rear tire & I scuffed my rim...
mad.gif
Gotta get some rim protectors... I used cut up pieces of laundry detergent jug and had to try and keep the spoons from slippin' off of that. Kinda tricky and the spoons slipped off a couple times, but no scuffs...
drooling3.gif
I think each slip took a year off the end of my life though.
biggrin.gif

I have changed & balanced 3 tires in the last month with out a tire machine. A good set of spoons goes a long ways!! I static balance them on jack stands as mentioned above & haven't had a problem yet. Other than the rim protector slipped the last time I changed my rear tire & I scuffed my rim...  
mad.gif
Gotta get some rim protectors... I used cut up pieces of laundry detergent jug and had to try and keep the spoons from slippin' off of that. Kinda tricky and the spoons slipped off a couple times, but no scuffs...
drooling3.gif
biggrin.gif
Check out Dennis Kirks. The rim protectors were only $8 bucks and even have retrieval ropes attached in case they fall in.

Another good idea is vinyl tubing that you can buy at any hardware store. Slit it and slide it in place around the entire rim.

BT, Just had a thought reading TT's Reply. In Atlanta there is a place called Rubber and Accessories. They have an endless supply of everything made of rubber and a Lot of plastics too. From thick to thin they'll have it. If they say you need an account to purchase what you want PM me and I'll give you the info needed to use mine. It's a COD account so bring Cash or CC with ya
smile.gif
Anything to help a Busa Brother out
biggrin.gif

Too much work doin' it myself....especially since I have a local shop that changes my tires for free. 5 sets in the last year.  
cool.gif

mad.gif
drooling3.gif
biggrin.gif
Check out Dennis Kirks. The rim protectors were only $8 bucks and even have retrieval ropes attached in case they fall in.

Another good idea is vinyl tubing that you can buy at any hardware store. Slit it and slide it in place around the entire rim.
Thanks for the heads up.
beerchug.gif

BT, Just had a thought reading TT's Reply. In Atlanta there is a place called Rubber and Accessories. They have an endless supply of everything made of rubber and a Lot of plastics too. From thick to thin they'll have it. If they say you need an account to purchase what you want PM me and I'll give you the info needed to use mine. It's a COD account so bring Cash or CC with ya
smile.gif
Anything to help a Busa Brother out
biggrin.gif
I'll have to look them up. Thanks, man. And it's too cool of you to let me use your account. I'll hit you up if I need to take you up on that.
beerchug.gif

Too much work doin' it myself....especially since I have a local shop that changes my tires for free. 5 sets in the last year.
cool.gif
It wasn't too bad actually. And I learned stuff with each tire I done. I'd imagine that after a few more tire changes it will be quite easy. However, if I had a hook up and could get them done for FREE I wouldn't bother with it either.
biggrin.gif

So how did the balance thing work out BT, you get out and ride today??
I done the static balance thing with a metal rod and jack stands and the results seemed that no weights were needed. I was afraid I might not have known what I was doing and was afraid that I'd find a wobble or vibration when I rode it. I got out today for a while and it honestly rode smoother than with the stock tires. Either my stock front was a little out of balance or I experienced the "Dunlop Flop" that I've read about. Some say that Dunlops cup when they wear and start bouncing. Today with the Powers on my front end was the smoothest it has been since I bought the bike.

I got up to 100 mph or so and coasted with the clutch in to eliminate drivetrain vibrations and such. Not a single bad "feel" from the Powers. Stability is still there, too. I let go of the bars and it tracked straight with no weaving or anything. I guess they really didn't need any weights.
wink.gif

There's and old Japanese man here that changes Motorcycle tires on the floor with a bead breaker, three rim savers and two tire irons. I was amazed watching him, he is faster than the machines. I watched him change 3 sets of tires, I plan on trying his method on my next set.

I tried the harbor frieght thingy, don't think I will try that again! I had no idea what I was doing!
laugh.gif

Maybe I am not as mechanically minded as you BT.

I've had really good luck with my Hardor Freight tire changer, too. Also, by finding the heavy side of the rim with my balancer and lining the light side of the tire up with it, I only had to add 5oz to the rear wheel and none to the front...smooth as butter at 150
biggrin.gif

Back