How many change their own tires?

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
How many of you mount and balance your own tires? I just bought a Harbor Freight manual tire changer and motorcycle attachment and mounted my Powers on the 10. They say the first time is the worst and honestly it wasn't too bad. That low profile, wide rear was kinda aggravatin' but not too bad. Overall I'd rather do it myself than to pay the prices the crooks around here want to do it for me.

The changer and m/c attachment only cost me $86 shipped to my door. They were on clearance at www.harborfreight.com. I haven't rolled on the Powers yet. Just got done with the install and moddin' the changer a little bit. Still gotta put the rear wheel back on. I hope to get to scrub the Powers in tomorrow or Saturday. They appear to be quite a bit more aggressively profiled than the stock D218's. I'm expecting quicker, easier turn in and maybe even edge to edge tire use.

As I was taking the Dunlops off I looked closely at their profile and it appears that where my chicken strips come to the tire actually shoulders off. I'm getting to the edge of the main contact patch on the 218's but I'm not sure how far I would have had to lean the thing to get all the way over on that shouldered edge.
rock.gif
Anyway, after looking at the profile and edges of the Powers I'm thinkin' I may actually be able to do away with ALL the chicken strips without having to lean excessively to do it.

Now, time to find a bite to eat. I'm starved after wrestlin' those tires on.
biggrin.gif

No need right now. I've got a good friend / riding buddy who manages an auto repair shop. He always hooks me up whenever I need a hand. (and I keep his computer happy and healthy in return.) Bartering is the best!

I only use the tire bead breaker part of the tire machine you bought.. still find myself using tire irons and rim saves. dont forget the lube..

Go to a superbike race sometime and watch how they balance the tires...No rocket sience...

Be sure to pump up those brakes when you put those wheels back on or that first ride might be a bad suprise..

I'll just take mine in for a tire change, it's not worth cluttering my garage any more than it already is.
wink.gif

I've got the same tire changer set up. Think I paid around $65 for the whole set up from my local Harbor Freight a few months back.

UPS just delivered some new rubber for Baby T today, will be trying it out this weekend. Also bought tire irons, rim protectors and weights from Dennis Kirk...can't wait to try the new toys out!

Has anyone used the harbor freight bubble balancer? If so how well does it work?

Biggest question is, why don't motorcycle tires need to be dynamic balanced? Are they so narrow compared to a car tire that it's just not necessary? You would think that just a static balance might help induce a speed weave or tank slapper?
rock.gif

No need right now. I've got a good friend / riding buddy who manages an auto repair shop. He always hooks me up whenever I need a hand. (and I keep his computer happy and healthy in return.) Bartering is the best!
Well, evidently I don't barter well. Nobody wants to cut me a deal on changing tires. Going with the cheapest price I got this time $21 per wheel with me removing/re-installing the wheels from/on the bike I can almost pay off the changer with today's install of front and rear, and then another rear when this one is gone...
rock.gif

I only use the tire bead breaker part of the tire machine you bought.. still find myself using tire irons and rim saves. dont forget the lube..

Go to a superbike race sometime and watch how they balance the tires...No rocket sience...

Be sure to pump up those brakes when you put those wheels back on or that first ride might be a bad suprise..
Gotta get some lube... and rim protectors. I used pieces of cut up laundry detergent jugs (thicker than the milk jugs others had recommended and slick as snot on the inside part
biggrin.gif
) and no lube. The first bead pushed on by hand on both wheels, the last bit of the top bead was sort of a beeyotch on the lower profile rear. Not really that bad though. Oh, and it will be easier next time because I will have the changer anchored to my gagare floor. It tried to flop around a little this time since it wasn't bolted down.
drooling3.gif

So how you balancing them?
I static balanced them according to the Kawi service manual. According to the static balance neither wheel needed any weights. I'm going to take the first ride easy until I make sure it isn't going to do the fish or the funky chicken. First time I've done the static balance thing but I followed the directions...
rock.gif

Since I change tires so often I think I'll just take Baby J in and have it done.

Since I change tires so often I think I'll just take Baby J in and have it done.
I wouldn't criticize anyone for having it done. I just enjoy the time spent wrenchin' on my own bike and the satisfaction of doing it mysef. It's my therapy. If I changed tires as often as you apparently do it probably wouldn't be so therapeutic, huh?
wink.gif

See if I can explain a tire balance method.
Using a jig that supports the axle level and carry the weight of the wheel. Allowing you to grasp both axle ends with your fingers and thumb.
For the Busa with hollowed Axle bolts. The jig is simple as metal rod through the axle supported on both ends. Those who have width adjustable bike stands. Support the steel rod with clearance not to bind the axle bolt.
Proceedure to balance. Grasp the axle bolts ends. Rotate a small 1/16th rotation repeatedly clockwise then counterclockwise. It'll break the slight friction the bearings have and not influence tire rotation. The tire will begin to move freely. The heavy spot forces the tire to turn. When it stops turning the heaviest spot is at the lowest point on the tire. Masking tape a wheel weight on the upper rim. Repeat the small 1/16th rotations on the axle to test the new balance.
It's very sensative method that'll pick out weight imbalances of a weigh of a 1/4" thin washer.
Here it's the method of choice for professional race teams. They have resources for the most sophisticated machines but they have mechanics doing it by hand.

<!--EDIT|Bronto
Reason for Edit: None given...|1109325100 -->

Trick to make tire installation easy... While spooning tire on, be sure that the opposite side of the tire is in the Drop center (The deepest part) of the rim. Start installing the tire from the side of the rim closest to the drop center. This way you will not be stretching the bead of the tire enough to cause damage. You should be able to push the first bead over the rim by hand with no tools by pushing alternately on the left then the right working your way around as long as you lubed it enough. If not you will only have to use a tool for the last 2 inches. As far as lube goes, A good thick dawn/water mixture will work. Before you set teh bead simply wipe the inside of the rim clean and dry. This will prevent corrosion and insure a good balance. Most tire lubricants are nothing more than vegetable based soaps that look like grease. In my other life, I changed everything from golf cart tires up to the BIG tires on articulating Farm tractors and Loader tires. All easily done with hand tools and lubrication ( OK, the loader tires I cheated and used a power pack and a crane
blush.gif
) It's not a hard thing to do and DEFINATELY NOT worth paying $30 wheel like they get around here!
BT I like to work on my own stuff as much as possible also. I may not know everything a "certified" mechanic knows but I am confident what I do is done correctly and all the little details were attended to!
smile.gif

Not me BT... I'd prefer a proffesional to do it for me! ANd here in India, it would cost be well within 5 dollars to get a tyre changed
wink.gif

I have changed & balanced 3 tires in the last month with out a tire machine. A good set of spoons goes a long ways!! I static balance them on jack stands as mentioned above & haven't had a problem yet. Other than the rim protector slipped the last time I changed my rear tire & I scuffed my rim...
mad.gif

Back