How is your radar detector mounted?

Kiwi Rider

Registered
I’ve always had my detector mounted on a steering stem mounted platform, but I’ve never been really happy with that mount, it’s difficult to see the display on the detector.

But I’ve finally got around to removing the front nose cone and mounting an aluminium plate to the plastic above the instruments....

Took about 2 hours but I’m sooooo glad I did it!
What do ya think?
How do you mount yours?

393C3FAB-AE4B-44AB-AED3-7FA97D9FFDA1.jpeg

A6B4D049-D93E-44C6-A5CB-8BFF313D53EC.jpeg

Stem stand for my V1 but like most (all) units their daylight display is far too dim for a proper warning so I also use a ten LED light array from Marc Parnes so I definitely see an alert. My Z has actual handlebars

so I use a bar mount on it. Marc makes other things too.

Mines mounted on a Ram ball mount with a Ram magnetic plate mount. Works pretty good.
View attachment 1616730
Hey, I noticed you have the ‘lensing’ Indentations on your rev counter needle centre, and on the plastic housing right above the 8 on the tacho.... I have the same thing, pain in the azz, it’s caused by the double bubble screens creating a lensing effect and focusing the sun on that spot.
I’ve seen it a few times on different bikes too,
Took me awhile to figure out what had caused it on mine.

In Va RDs are illegal. I used to run mine in the tank bag. I use a Beltronics for it's stealth, not detectable. I had a small LED warning light Velcro mounted above the center dash. I used a SENA SH10 (think that's right) to convert the RD's audio alarm to a Bluetooth which I paired to the headset. Clean and stealthy but no laser as the unit was in the bag. Also the Beltronics is not a motorcycle RD so it's not weatherproof so that's an issue too.

I played with making a hard tank bag that allowed the laser detector arrays to see at least in the forward direction but I didn't finish it. To be honest the RD only saves the small tickets and then are not really much better than understanding the cop's tactics IMHO. The cops here are all running instant on, so you get little warning they are there until it's too late. I looked at jammers but the penalties for getting caught with these are pretty serious.

In Va RDs are illegal. I used to run mine in the tank bag. I use a Beltronics for it's stealth, not detectable. I had a small LED warning light Velcro mounted above the center dash. I used a SENA SH10 (think that's right) to convert the RD's audio alarm to a Bluetooth which I paired to the headset. Clean and stealthy but no laser as the unit was in the bag. Also the Beltronics is not a motorcycle RD so it's not weatherproof so that's an issue too.

I played with making a hard tank bag that allowed the laser detector arrays to see at least in the forward direction but I didn't finish it. To be honest the RD only saves the small tickets and then are not really much better than understanding the cop's tactics IMHO. The cops here are all running instant on, so you get little warning they are there until it's too late. I looked at jammers but the penalties for getting caught with these are pretty serious.

You could always move. :) And my understanding is that for instant on laser to be used, the user has to be motionless, like stopped with laser gun in hand, not in a moving vehicle. My V1 has saved me thousands over the years in 11 states on my bikes and in my cars.

My Beltronics STi Magnum has saved me many many times . . .

and we have a demerit points system here, so even the small speeding tickets have points added to your license and after a few within 2 years, bingo . . disqualified license for 3 to 6 months.
I would never ever ride without my protection layer.

Hey, I noticed you have the ‘lensing’ Indentations on your rev counter needle centre, and on the plastic housing right above the 8 on the tacho.... I have the same thing, pain in the azz, it’s caused by the double bubble screens creating a lensing effect and focusing the sun on that spot.
I’ve seen it a few times on different bikes too,
Took me awhile to figure out what had caused it on mine.
Those are actually not the original gauges! I was in an accident several years ago and my clocks got trashed, so I bought these from a member here with almost identical mileage, but with the damage you see there. Functionally fine but aesthetically not so great. I actually have an MDI Carbon fiber cover out in the shop that I am going to be installing soon to help a little bit with that. The upside of this lockdown is its giving me time to do some of these projects now!

Those are actually not the original gauges! I was in an accident several years ago and my clocks got trashed, so I bought these from a member here with almost identical mileage, but with the damage you see there. Functionally fine but aesthetically not so great. I actually have an MDI Carbon fiber cover out in the shop that I am going to be installing soon to help a little bit with that. The upside of this lockdown is its giving me time to do some of these projects now!

Lensing? An indentation caused by the windscreen?

Lensing? An indentation caused by the windscreen?
Have you not heard of this Wuzza?
I’ve had to replace instruments on a couple of customers bikes at work due to this issue.
It usually occurs with double bubble screens with the ‘sharp’ edges running through the screen’s sides left and right, it seems to focus the sun right smack dab on the center of the tacho needle and around the top of the plastic surround.
Like this.....

image.jpg

Have you not heard of this Wuzza?
I’ve had to replace instruments on a couple of customers bikes at work due to this issue.
It usually occurs with double bubble screens with the ‘sharp’ edges running through the screen’s sides left and right, it seems to focus the sun right smack dab on the center of the tacho needle and around the top of the plastic surround.
Like this.....

View attachment 1616778

Nope but I seldom sit on or even see another Busa to have noticed. In addition my wind screen is not only OEM but the original.
14 years old approaching 70,000 miles.

Back