How I went from being annoyed at stripped screw to feeling like a genius yesterday...

Dr. Gonzo

Registered
So the other day I was pulling apart my fuel rail to check out my injectors and stripped out the philips head screw on the far left end. For the life of me I could not get the thing to budge. The more I tried the worse it got (as is how it usually goes). I started having ugly thoughts about drilling it out and was about to run out and get one of those kits to remove stripped screws. Then I had an epiphany. I pullout out my dremmel and with couple quick slices turned a hogged out philips into a perfectly workable regular screw. Grabbeding my trusty fat regular, it came out as easy as can be. I'm sure this is day one stuff for everyone else, but I felt like a caveman who'd just discovered fire! :laugh:

Anyway, just thought I'd share my newb revelation in case there are others as green as me who might not have figured this one out yet.

Later,
Gonz

This is why we're slightly smarter than the monkeys :p

Just glad you figured it out...I would just pout until a man fixes it for me :laugh:

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

Re: How I went from being annoyed at stripped screw to feeling like a genius yesterda

This is why we're slightly smarter than the monkeys :p

Just glad you figured it out...I would just pout until a man fixes it for me :laugh:

via Samsung Galaxy SIII

And that's why female monkeys are slightly smarter than male monkeys... :laugh:

Re: How I went from being annoyed at stripped screw to feeling like a genius yesterda

I have done this a few times, it also works on bolts that have been stripped. One time I had to do it to a wheel lug nut that was in bad shape.

My pops taught me that trick. You have to be careful if you grind your groove too deep it can weaken the connection point from the screw head to the shaft and it will bust off. Done that a time or two. then you go back to annoyed and feeling like a dumba$$.

I have done this as well. Works great until you get one that is non-accessible with the dremel. :banghead:

Appreciate the tips. Had zero automotive info handed down in my youth so still picking up on some of the fundamental stuff. Spent all my time with my head buried in my PC at the time. Still... IT pays the bills and lets me tinker with the bike so no complaints. ;)

Gonz

just an fyi...there are different phillips head screw driver sizes...soo most likely the screwdriver you used fit but wasnt the exact size...thats usually why they strip

lightly tapping a ball bearing with a hammer on the head of the screw will round the corners back in enough for your screwdriver to bite, works great on allen screws and torx as well.

lightly tapping a ball bearing with a hammer on the head of the screw will round the corners back in enough for your screwdriver to bite, works great on allen screws and torx as well.

Ooooohh, that is new one to me. I am going to have to remember that one.

aren't dremels a cool tool

Agreed, dremmels are the win. heheh

I gotta try that ball bearing thing too.

Gonz

Get yourself an impact driver. I have not had a stripped screw since I bought mine years ago.

Dremmel is awesome. Also have found 100 uses for a multi-tool as well. I have the cordless Milwaulkee but Dremel makes one as well. Makes you wonder how they built anything 50 years ago.

Back