How to prevent stuck/stripped fairing bolts

Ludicrous Speed

Registered
After seeing several posts about stripped fairing bolts, I decided to make sure I didn't have the same problem.

Last night, I took out every single bolt on the fairings, the ones on the front fender, the rear sets, the rear brake cylinder, and the tail section (under the hump), tank,and the front seat. The ones that thread into aluminum are the most important, as the Galvanic process is worst with aluminum when combined with any other dis-similar metal.

Some of mine were extremely tight already, and my bike is only a few months old. I could imagine what it would be like in a year or so, when the galvanic corrosion takes over.

As you take each one out,make sure you use a GOOD 4mm allen wrench, like Craftsman or Snap-on or another name brand. Don't use stuff from the Dollar Store, etc, as they will strip out the hex, since they do not make them to very exact tolerances. I use a set of Craftsman Metric T handles, along with a set of regular Craftsman allen wrenches. I removed them one at a time and put a small dab of Silver Antisieze on the threads of each bolt. On the ones for the seat, I put a very small amount under the head of the bolt, also, as it seems to stick to the frame every time I take it off.

One word of caution, be careful if you get this stuff on your fingers, as it is like tar. When you get it anywhere, it ends up everywhere!!!

Don't forget to do the one bolt directly behind the front tire, as it takes all kinds of debris from the road.

Hope that this saves me (and anyone else) the problems I have heard about.

I found that if you are working with bolts a lot and want insurance use some of antiseize....I have this stuff from Champion spark plugs that paints on that works great...but it only last about one application at a time...If you want a long lasting anti-seize go to the autoparts and pick up some C5-A or other copper based anti-seize...

what your not suppose to use the phillips head screwdriver to take those out
rock.gif
Now someone tells me

Do NOT use regular(metal based) or copper based anti seize with anything aluminum. These metals are not compatable and will react in a bad way - the aluminum loses. I have been an aluminum boat owner and marine mechanic so know what I'm talking about.
Loctite (blue) is probably the best for bike fasteners. I use it all the time. Ceramic never- seize is ok. Some gasket sealers will work. Grease. Teflon based sealers. But not metal based anti-seize, please.

<!--EDIT|oldguy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104338155 -->

Heck I went through and popped each and every one loose a couple months ago when this first came up, then I sprayed a little bit of WD-40 on the threads and retightened em'. Seems to be keeping them free for now. I'll prolly get some proper Anti-seize later.

Good Advice man, Thanks..

Back