How do I get tripped screw out of bar end????

NuSkwel

Registered
I NEED HELP...

So I've been fighting this bar end trying to get it loose. Someone here shared a post with me that helped me get it off. I got the right bar end off that I didn't try yet before learning how to properly do it. I go to the left bar end that i started with, and the allen screw was stripped. So I drilled it out so the bar end would come off by pulling it. Now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get the remainder of the screw out of the handle so I can put my new one there. Any tips on what to do??? I thought I might have to completely drill it out in the handle and retap the screw hole .

IMG_0394.jpg

Yeah... There's a lot sticking out. Vicegrips or better yet a Stud Remover if you have one

Yeah... There's a lot sticking out. Vicegrips or better yet a Stud Remover if you have one
Yeah it is. Had to get the allen head to pop off so I could pull the bar end off. I tried channel locks, but as you can see by the marks that those didn't work. I'll try my vicegrips. Anything I need to do to make it turn easy out of the hole? @Popie

Would I need to heat up the screw to get it to come out while using the vicegrips or anything on the screw itself for grip? Earlier I tried channel locks before posting but that didnt work. First time taking the screws out and the were in there real tight. @Dustin02
Heat will EXPAND the screw. Probably don't want that happening. Vicegrips will grab far better then channel locks. Get on the screw as close to the bar as you can. Clamp them as tight as you're able to.

Good thinking so far. The head was stripped so you drilled it off. What else could you do?

I think vice grips will get the shank out. Adjust it so it grabs as tight as possible. Clamp on right against the end of the bar.

If the vice grips alone don't do it, try a propane torch on the shank. Heat will cause it to expand but that can often break corrosion just by expanding and contracting a little. I do not think there is factory thread locking agent on these screws but heat will soften that up if that is what is freezing the bolt. A little shot of Deep Creep might help. Clean any of that off the exposed shank before grabbing it with the vice grips.

If you really need to, you could weld a strap of metal on the shank.

I think the vice grips are going do the job. Just be glad you have something to grab onto.

If all else fails, the bars are replaceable. You could get a nice set of anodized ones or carbon fiber. OEM would probably be the easiest to install the pods and stuff to if there are detents for the factory equipment.

Just a thought. Are these screw reverse threads by chance?
No way.

Update: Vice Grips worked getting the screw out. Thank you all for your help
Hurrah !!!!!!!
Just incase anyone ever breaks a bolt off close to the surface and there is nothing to grab onto, you can place a metal scribe against any raised edge sticking out and tap the other end of the scribe counterclockwise with a hammer. I did that on my Carrazzeria wheel when I busted off a rotor bolt and it worked after a couple hours. Sometimes a reverse cutting bit will grab and spin it out otherwise drill and an EZ out but I never tried either of those.

Back