how hard is it ?

Handsome Rob

Registered
i ride a Yamaha V Star Classic 650cc and i am thinking about moving up to a Hayabua ...
now a lot of people have told me that Busas are dangerous, they are too much bike, they cant be handled unless i get some experience on a gixxer1000 etc etc

i personally luv this bike and i want one as soon as possible ...

so what do you guys think ? how many of you moved up to a 1300cc bike from a midsized bike ? also, if i buy the Busa what kinds of inputs do i have to watch....like, do i have to give the throttle a feather touch or should i not shift to the 6th gear?? wat should i watch to not scare myself shitless ?

A GSXR1000 and a 'Busa are pretty darn close power-wise. Same goes for all the 1000cc superbikes. And they all demand a great deal of respect. I'd point you in the direction of a 600cc sportbike 1st. Even an entry level 600cc standard would be a better entry point (Yamaha's FZ6 for example). A sportbike is a completly different beast than a cruiser, especially a Vstar 650.

Another really good option is to see if there is a motorcycle rental business in your area. If so, they might rent a 1200 Bandit or SV1000 or something quasi-sporty, which you can use to see if you are comfortable with the extra power.

Of course, all this depends on you. It's all a matter restraint... the bike isn't going to high-side you, you will. If you have a good amount of restraint, like everyone who already owns a Hayabusa, you'll do fine.

I'd have to second epicrisis, a cruiser and sportbike are two different rides. I would rent or borrow, if you can, or if you have the coin buy a used sportbike and tool around for awhile. See how comfy you are. That is one of the many features of the Busa I like. It fits me well, nice and comfy.

yeah and the whole being told a busa is dangerous, yep just like every other moto out there. The important thing to consider is your ability to control your right wrist. As long as you know your limits and stay within them, can control your ego and your right hand you shouldn't have a problem on a Busa. And if you do decide to shoot for the busa outright, ride it like you stole it. anyway just my .02....
good luck and ride safe....
smile.gif

I say get the Busa and save the time and money because eventually you'll get the Hayabusa anyway. I have gotten hurt many times on a 250 dirt bike so just be careful and start out slow. The Busa carries alot of weight and is not like the other sportbikes but sportbikes and or motorcycles in general can be dangerous if not ridden with respect.

If you've been riding the V-Star for a while, then you obviously have some experience. Based on that assumption, I say get the bike you want.

The Busa can be as docile as you want it to be. It's all in how well you control your right wrist. Just take it easy on the Busa at first, and get comfortable with the handling and characteristics. Then you can start to explore its power and speed, but remember, Never ride faster than your gaurdian angel can fly.

Good Luck!

What stkr00 said, You've been a riding a big bike, the Busa is just another big bike. Wet weight of 540lbs, 158HP or so to the rear, but nimble and agile.

Carefull feather touch? YES, absolutely especially for the first few hundred miles. The Busa will try to rip your arms off if you get careless with your throttle in the lower few gears. BUT, like STKR said, it's just a bike with a motor.

It's a serious pussy cat below about 6000RPM, so you get it, and you adjust to it. If you have never ridden any sort of sportbike the riding position is going to feel pretty funky for awhile but once your used to it it'll deliver an adrenal hit like nothin else out there...
laugh.gif

Oh and the scared Shitless thing? Forget about it, sooner or later you'll forget yourself and start thinking that your "All That" on the Busa. That is when she will explain things to you in no uncertain terms and will probably scare the Sh!d outta ya... at least once or twice.
smile.gif

Just take your time with the Busa and you'll do fine.  Just don't let ANYONE hype you up to do stupid poop and have you riding outside your limits on the Busa until you're totally comfortable.  Trust me (us...), people will want to either challenge you or express their curiosities about the Busa. (i.e. "How fast is this thing really?"...etc.)  Just don't let your ego take over and wind up gettin' yourself in a 'nine-line-bind.'  Sure, you're going to want to 'test' the hype, but trust me (us...), there is NO HYPE behind the Busa.  Just remember to stay safe.  Keep this motto from the Tuskegee Airmen in mind when riding your Busa:  "Straighten UP!  Fly RIGHT!"  Good luck on your decision.

Brian

<!--EDIT|bacharles
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098199615 -->

Its your money get the 'Busa. If you had the money and loved the way the '05 Corvette looked would you go and buy a Honda Civic because people told you it was better on gas?

thanks a lot for all your comments
you guys are the Busa-friendly crowd ... i liked what i heard and i needed the encouragement

its like when i first decided to ride i was told by my folks and cousins that i was commiting suicide and that i would get killed and all that horse crap
you hear similar things when you tell some riders that you are moving up to a high performance machine ...
wink.gif

ive been riding for a year and if i buy the busa by next summer i will have 2 years of experience ... to tell you the truth, i am a "poser" ... when im out riding my bike i stay within the speed limit, ride in the slow lane and let tractor-trailers pass .... not that im afraid to try something a squid would do but i just cant afford to buy multiple bikes incase i wreck the one i have ... and i dont plan on visiting the local hospital for any reason whatsoever ....
so yes, i definitely WILL watch my wrist when im on a 1300cc monster ....

its the coolest bike and being geared up and riding one is all i need to intimidate the crap out of the CBRs and the YZFs
tounge.gif

btw, how high can insurance premiums be on something like that ... worst case scenario !!?

it's never the machine, it's always the person in control of the machine. be very patient and ride at your skill level and you'll be fine.

If you've been riding for a while and are totally comfortable on yer 650.......move up to a Busa......no one stopping you from taking it easy till yer used to the power.
Oh yeah......tell yer buddies 1k's are more dangerous than Busas.......nearly the same power, but lighter, less stable at high speed, and way more wheelie prone.
Welcome aboard!!!!

Just take your time with the Busa and you'll do fine.  Just don't let ANYONE hype you up to do stupid poop and have you riding outside your limits on the Busa until you're totally comfortable.  Trust me (us...), people will want to either challenge you or express their curiosities about the Busa. (i.e. "How fast is this thing really?"...etc.)  Just don't let your ego take over and wind up gettin' yourself in a 'nine-line-bind.'  Sure, you're going to want to 'test' the hype, but trust me (us...), there is NO HYPE behind the Busa.  Just remember to stay safe.  Keep this motto from the Tuskegee Airmen in mind when riding your Busa:  "Straighten UP!  Fly RIGHT!"  Good luck on your decision.

Brian
Yeah...
evil.gif

As long as you respect the power that the Busa has and you learn to grow with it you will be fine. Wlecome to the board...

i ride a Yamaha V Star Classic 650cc and i am thinking about moving up to a Hayabua ...
now a lot of people have told me that Busas are dangerous, they are too much bike, they cant be handled unless i get some experience on a gixxer1000 etc etc

i personally luv this bike and i want one as soon as possible ...

so what do you guys think ? how many of you moved up to a 1300cc bike from a midsized bike ? also, if i buy the Busa what kinds of inputs do i have to watch....like, do i have to give the throttle a feather touch or should i not shift to the 6th gear?? wat should i watch to not scare myself shitless ?
Rob,

That's exactly what I did.

While I have ridden bike's before, my V-Star 650 Classic was the first bike I ever owned. I still have it, but after riding it for two years I bought a Busa. Never had any problem's.

Back