How hard are busas to work on?

stonedpirate

Registered
Hi,

Nearing time for my first service and am wondering whether to use the dealer or learn to do it all myself.

I have no trouble with simple stuff like oil/filter change, chain adjustment, changing tyres etc etc.

But am wondering if there is anything you dont do?

The electrics look like nasa built them.

How hard is a valve adjustment?

What wont you do yourself?

Thanks

One of the easiest bikes to work on, IMO, esp if you have a gen 1.

Oil changes require the RH fairing to be taken off. You probably will never need a valve adjustment......... You will probably not ever have an electrical problem that is not caused by yourself

If you wanted to tweak the ECU you would need a laptop , harness, maybe software from smithbusa and a little knowledge, but not many of us jump into that one.

I have had no problems, but I am also a automotive tech. My paranoia is always to make sure everything important is torqued to spec, check 2 or 3 times (at least I do).

ive changed the filter on mine without even removing the fairing lower .

lovely bike to work on (i had a zx12r and there a pig)

suzuki do seem to make most things quite easy for the diy enthusiast.
top tip dont go mad on torque ie sump plug as so many fook this up through being unrealistic when it comes to guessing torque on a fine ally thread!!

treat yourself to a good quality low start torque wrench ie 5lbs to 80lbs as that will serve you well.

and as ever someone will help you off here if your stuck

Unbolt the bottom of the two fairings and reach up through to get at the filter. No real need to remove anything.

Easy bike to work on, esp. gen 1 as stated. Just tear into it and post up on here if you have problems. Someone here has probably had the same problem. (me a lot of the time lol)

+10,000 on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it." I tear into perfectly good things because it's fun to me, but you end up working out waaay more problems and costing much more. Still worth it to me to learn though lol. And the bike is running great now, 9.3 @150 earlier tonight, pretty much stock motor, no tune, lowered and stretched.

do i need to disconnect my battery before installing spark plugs????
Don't know what the manual states but I never have.

Hey James it just idles a little rough and makes a heck of a noise exhausting throw the plug hole, the 50K volts just tickles, just saying.

Easy bike to work on, esp. gen 1 as stated. Just tear into it and post up on here if you have problems. Someone here has probably had the same problem. (me a lot of the time lol)

+10,000 on the "if it ain't broke don't fix it." I tear into perfectly good things because it's fun to me, but you end up working out waaay more problems and costing much more. Still worth it to me to learn though lol. And the bike is running great now, 9.3 @150 earlier tonight, pretty much stock motor, no tune, lowered and stretched.
You must weigh 90 pounds, heck that's 1.5 seconds faster than Ricky Gadsen :laugh:

So easy, a Caveman can do it... LOL I have found that it is usually a case of time and being tedious much more than difficult...

Lol I'm about 160 fully suited. And yes, if I were sponsored by Kawi, I'd probably be running 10.4ish on the same bike lol.

Back