How hard is it to install a Full Exhaust?

sideswipe

Registered
I have a basic set of ratchets and some other tools and am debating whether to buy a slip on or a full system. I've installed slip on's before, no problem but have never installed a full exhaust. How hard is it? Is it something that a basic mechanic (I can do oil changes) like myself can tackle without help?

I would say yes do it yourself its just nuts and bolts not rocket science
easybutton.png

Git-R-DONE!

I did mine and I'm about as sharp as a beachball. Just take your time. I did mine in 5 days.

Day 1 - Unbolted the exhaust from bike. This is probably the most difficult thing to do because of the PAIR being in the way.

Day 2 - Got the pipe out from under bike.

Day 3 - Assembled new pipe and removed airbox from bike.

Day 4 - Did the airbox mod and installed onto bike.

Day 5 - Installed new pipe.

It can all be done in one day but I chose to do it that way as to not overwhelm myself, tire myself out, or get frustrated.

I plan on swapping out my swingarm using the same approach. This, by the way, was done on the Gen-1. I have no clue how hard it'll be for the Gen-2 but as mentioned above, it should be nothing more than nuts and bolts.

Good luck

I did mine........Take your time. It took me about 4 hrs......Get some cardboard and tape it to your radiator (both sides) to prevent denting any fins....

other than that.....easy as 1, 2, 3,

DD

If you can exercise patience, and don't force things when they appear to resist installing, then you will likely be just fine.

Having the correct tools makes the job easier. Having components that are exceptionally well-designed and machined (such as the Yosh or TiForce systems) also makes a huge difference in the ease of installation.

There are eight bolts you really want to try to torque properly... these would be the exhaust flange bolts. Over-torquing (or under-torquing) them can often lead to Badness.

I just had one installed,cost $160/2hrs from the time i dropped it off until i picked it up..I know i could do it myself but i didnt want to be laying on the cold garage floor

two takes on this one...

If you are $$ conscious then a DIY job will save you up to $200 and use up maybe 4 to 6 hours of your life. This is provided you have the tools (pretty basic except for torque wrench) and a bike lift is certainly a big plus ($200-$400 for a basic home job)and basic mechanical abilities.

A bit of patience and common sense are always in order for a first time DIY job.. (as well as RTFM)

If the $$ are not the issue, you may want to roll it over to a "competent" shop and let them do it.. no headaches, tools or other issues that could arise (and a warranty on the install job I would hope)

On a 10 scale (10 being hardest) I would rate the pipe change as about a 6..

That might seem high to some but keeping in mind that many open the cooling system, remove the PAIR valve system and install a Powercommander the job actually covers a lot more ground than just bolting on some pipes.. Just bolting on the pipes? maybe a 4..

I just put an M4 full exhaust on my 08. We had the plastic off already and once it was up on the lift with two of us working on it, we spent about 45 minutes to have it down off the lift. I will have to say, the M4 is the best fit and finish exhaust I've ever installed. Very quick and easy. Plus, with the M4 you'll need no tuning nor a PC. Just install and ride! SWEET! They also give you an extra 7-8 ponies and a few more pounds of torque. Not trying to sell you anything, just pointing out my success with these pipes.

If you do decide to do your own installation, do yourself a huge favor and remove the radiator and oil cooler. You may be very happy you did?

You'll also need at least the rear stand before getting started.

Good Luck!

Good point.. the Powercommander appears to be "fluff" on the 08 bikes...
smile.gif

True about the Power Commander assuming your new exhaust has the mount for the 02 sensor. I put the PCIII in my bike, and it currently has a zero map in it... The A/F is good and the bike made nice power throughout...Save the PCIII money and put it toward the system you really want.

Back