How do you know when your tires are warm?

I do weave quite a bit within my lane to warm them up when I'm first leaving the house. Lean pretty hard and relatively rapid motions.. you know what I mean, I know you've seen guys do it. That works right? RIGHT?

I thought the best way to quickly warm the tires is from accelertion and braking. I thought I read somewhere that the weaving thing doesn't really work for bike tires, can't quote a source though. However yes I have seen people doing it.

i go by feel. my tires will feel unstable to me like the bike is on stilts. i will ride for about a mile or until my bike turns a little more smooth.

i just listen really hard and a little voice tells me when its go time...:thumbsup:

and i have to agree that its never to hot to play with boobies....:rulez:

I thought the best way to quickly warm the tires is from accelertion and braking. I thought I read somewhere that the weaving thing doesn't really work for bike tires, can't quote a source though. However yes I have seen people doing it.

Accellerating and braking flexes and warms tires more than weaving.

You don't really KNOW unless you put tire warmers on before, or a temp gauge on them and actually check it. And since you aren't really going to do either on the street, you are making an educated guess that is effected by tire, tire pressure, temperature, riding style and surface conditions.

Therefore, my answer is: You may not know exactly when they are warm enough, but I can tell you EXACTLY when they are NOT (when they lose grip and you CRASH)...

Good Morning Gents!

Boy Howdy, this luscious hand crafted SteveO latte is a morning threat that's better than,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well, lets just say it's yummy! :smiley10:

CONGRATULATIONS Skydivr, you win the prize! This is the best response of all in my view!

I don't think any of us are really capable of rolling our trusty steed out of the garage, heading down the lane in the warm morning sun, while making our way to a secret twisty spot that only WE know about suddenly realize "Hey, these new michelins warmed up to romping temp in only 3.7 miles while that trashed set of Bridgestones I replaced took 5.2 miles"! Can I tell tell how quickly or slowly a tire warms up by riding it, Hell No! All I can tell you is the rear did or did not spin when I demanded grip and if the front did or did not push if I ask it for grip and I know a cold tire will dump me on my head if I get cocky.

There are way to many variables for averages riders like us to be able to judge how quickly or slowly a tire warms up. We have Michelin PR-3's (Which are popular with many) with a heavy carcass designed for heavy loads with deep tread, does this touring tire heat up faster or slower than the Dunlop Q2 performance tire which is also very popular with many? I think we all have a general idea that if we ride to our twisty haven twenty miles away on a hot day that we can pretty much count on our tires being warmed up for play time. But, is the sides safely heated or do we need to work our way onto the edges in order to maximize the shoulder grip? It's a question that haunts many of us every time we play. Loosing that precious commodity we call grip is one of the most feared tangents of riding and drastically restricts our mental ability to force ourselves to lean farther although the tire has more lean available.

One poster says he knows when his tires are warm when his onboard pressure display says the pressure is up 3 pounds or so. Sorry, your theory is about an hour or so behind reality. It takes an hour with tire warmers to heat the entire carcass and properly raise the air pressure. The surface of the tire is heated by friction early giving us grip long before the air pressure has properly increased. Carcass flex has a great deal of influence on overall heat. The amount of flex in the carcass has a great deal to do with how quickly the tire increases and raises the air pressure according to the amount of heat produced. That's why some tires may only gain 3 pounds while others may gain 5 pounds with the same cold pressure under the same conditions.

Some say they know when a tire is warm enough to play with the tire stops sliding. Well, if you really make your decisions on tire temp by two wheel drifts until the tire anchors itself then you have crashed more times than I have and I've had my fair share of crashes. And, you may be able to show Danny Eslick a few new tricks about two wheel drifts? Just a thought! :bowdown:

Gary McCoy is the guy that taught us about how spinning the rear on slides raised the surface temperature without over heating the tire to the point of loosing grip. I loved watching Gary McCoy (Very special man) race. However, Gary paid a heavy price with some nasty crashes. When you tell me you judge the heat by when the tire stops sliding, I'm thinking I wanna go watch this guy race!

I can ride a tire until the front starts to push and I can spin the rear at will hot or cold but I have no idea at what point a tire is warm. All I can do is work the tire for a given length of time and hope I have it hot enough (Not necessarily up to optimum temp) to perform the job I ask it to do.

I think most of you would be surprised if you used an infrared heat thermometer to check the temp of your tires to find how hard you have to ride a tire to reach it's optimum temp as well as the difference in temp between the center and the shoulders.

Tires are a very complex component of your bike. Some tires are extremely sensitive to tire pressure combined with ambient temp. Some tires respond to as little as 1/4 pound.

The point of this thread was to point out how quickly a tire warms up should not be a concern when we choose a tire. Choose a tire by the task you ask the tire to perform. We are blessed with a wonderful aray of choices in tires. The street tires today perform as well as the race tires only a few short years ago. As well, I wanted to point out when someone says one tire heats up faster than another tire, it may be time to think about how you came to that conclusion? :dunno:

Remember, cold tires will put you on your head but it's no excuse for crashing! :whistle:

Yippeee:cheerleader:

What did I win again? Somebody mentioned boobies?

Yippeee:cheerleader:

What did I win again? Somebody mentioned boobies?

Yes Keith, you win the blow up doll "Suzie Boobies"!

I know you bit the last one on the neck and she blew out the window so, luckily "Monique BigBooty" is soon to be replaced.

I'll send you the UPS tracking number later this afternoon! :bowdown:

Good Post on this thread! :beerchug:

Like I said, my display shows the tire temperature - to be precise, the air temperature inside the tire, which is a pretty good indication. No guessing if I really need to know - just push of a button.

Like I said, my display shows the tire temperature - to be precise, the air temperature inside the tire, which is a pretty good indication. No guessing if I really need to know - just push of a button.

The point I was making is: Your display indicates air pressure not tire temperature. The air pressure lags far behind the actual tire temperature so your information is a half hour old when you get it. Your display has no effect on when the tire has reached romping temperature. While air pressure is a good indicator it really don't tell you what you want to know, temperature! And the question was "How do you know when your tire has warmed up"?

If waiting for the air pressure to rise 3 psi or so is the way YOU do it, great! An hour into the ride your air pressure display is a good indicator what's happening with the tire but it always lags behind whether the tire is heating up or cooling down. It's great if it works for you but while your waiting for the pressure to reach optimum the rest of the group is five miles ahead of you!

The point I was making is: Your display indicates air pressure not tire temperature. The air pressure lags far behind the actual tire temperature so your information is a half hour old when you get it. Your display has no effect on when the tire has reached romping temperature. While air pressure is a good indicator it really don't tell you what you want to know, temperature! And the question was "How do you know when your tire has warmed up"?

If waiting for the air pressure to rise 3 psi or so is the way YOU do it, great! An hour into the ride your air pressure display is a good indicator what's happening with the tire but it always lags behind whether the tire is heating up or cooling down. It's great if it works for you but while your waiting for the pressure to reach optimum the rest of the group is five miles ahead of you!

Tuff, let me clarify - my display does indicate the temperature in degrees additionally to the tire pressure in PSI. I see both. Not to mention that based on those two parameters and based on the initial cold tire temperature, it recalculates what the cold tire pressure would be (if I were to stop and let it cool down) and alerts me not only if the current tire pressure is too low, but also if the recalculated cold tire pressure gets too low.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that there isn't probably a single TPMS for bikes on the market today which would measure the tire's temperature. That's why I love and appreciate mine so much.

Tuff, let me clarify - my display does indicate the temperature in degrees additionally to the tire pressure in PSI.

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, let's just say you and I have a different view on how tires work. It's okay to disagree and I respect your opinion.

Well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, let's just say you and I have a different view on how tires work. It's okay to disagree and I respect your opinion.

I don't disagree on how tires work, I am just saying I have an accurate measure of air temperature inside the tire, which if you think about it is a bit cooler than the tire temperature itself because the tire itself is the source of the heat, hence it would have a bit higher temperature than the air it warms up. So if I roll out of my garage and the tire temperature is at say 75 degrees, and let's say 5 minutes later it is at a 100 degrees, I know I can start pushing a bit. The actual tire temperature is probably 105 degrees. And since I've observed the rise in temperature gazzillion of times and in different conditions, I can pretty much approximate without looking at the display.

I am a pretty conservative rider anyway, so it's not really an issue for me.

IG, do you have a link to the system you use?

I like checking out tech gadgets

cry me a river. Go to Iraq where it gets to 148F (at least while I was there) that makes everything else just luke warm.:whistle:
Warning: all other temps are very close to the one posted

Been there and done that. Thankfully most of us get to come back home and the memory of crazy hot slips away. Heat is heat. I am not a huge fan of any of it.

Hey Tuf,

Does tire temp even matter on the street? Seems to me street tires work more on mechanical grip given a tread and all. But there are so many things on the street that get between your tire and the road that how warm the tire is the last of your worries.

On track a slick works on the rubber sticking to the track, so proper temp is absolutely essential.

Seems street tires get to operating temp quick enough and the difference between a cold and properly warmed tire is much smaller than with a slick.

Is this correct Tuf?

Hey Tuf,

Does tire temp even matter on the street? Seems to me street tires work more on mechanical grip given a tread and all. But there are so many things on the street that get between your tire and the road that how warm the tire is the last of your worries.

On track a slick works on the rubber sticking to the track, so proper temp is absolutely essential.

Seems street tires get to operating temp quick enough and the difference between a cold and properly warmed tire is much smaller than with a slick.

Is this correct Tuf?

You'd be surprised how many guys fall down pulling out of their driveway due to cold tires. Pull out of the driveway, lean it over to turn the corner, give the rear tire a bit more than a cold tire can handle and spin the rear out from under them. The front tire is no different. It will pitch you on the brakes fairly easily on a cool day if you get a little rough with the lever.

Now and then someone stops for a break while romping the back road twisties, twenty minutes later the tires have cooled down and the bike ends up on it's side on the first corner. Cold tires need to be warmed up for good grip, street and track.

As long as you realize grip is reduced before the tire has time to warm up and you ride accordingly (Wisely) you should never have a problem.

Looks something like this

cold tire, new tire either way results are the same, bad day of riding

Tuf, how about going into a little detail with warmed up tires (as much as the day will allow) on a cold surface...such as early spring or late fall riding.

Back