How do we know when our tires are warm?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Let's hear techniques on tire warm up before we go to full lean. How do we know when the tires are warm enough to lean her over and spank the chicken strips? :cheerleader:

Ok, I'm pretty sure I know this one Tuf, so I'm going to sit it out and wait to see what happens...

you know its warm enough when it don't low side ya. duh.... :)

Well on my Gen3 busa there's a tire temperature gauge on the dash that lights up when it's safe 2 turn....duh :laugh:

When it's game on...about the bottom of the carousel...:)

This will mean something to Keith and Jay from the old days.

After the front tire touches down and smokes for about 23 feet you know it's a little warmer

Why not :laugh: To the title, technically you would have to measure the tire to around 165 degrees F. To the technique of warming motorcycle tires, engineers say to flex the carcass with rapid acceleration and deceleration while the bike is upright. You hear a lot about two laps ( tracks vary in length, so this is probably a rule of thumb ), again tire engineers state about ten minutes of normal riding. All kinds of variables here. Air temp, surface temp, tire pressure, forces applied to tires, etc.

What? We have so many tire experts when it comes to "Michelin Pilot Road III's" are all I'll ever need yet no one knows when or if their favorite tire is ready to romp without stopping to check pressure and temperature?

Let's throw in another tidbit to the equation. What mechanical aspects can be adjusted help improve your read on lean and traction?

Also, what about tire pressure, does the tires give better feedback at lower track pressures or closer to the 42psi recommended in your owner's manual?

Well, I usually look to get 4-5 psi increase in the pressure on the TPMS. This usually means the tire is good to go unless it's very cold. Not a perfect indicater but good for typical road riding. I think too low a pressure on the tires and the handling gets mushy. So you need some air so the tire doesn't get too sloppy.

Back