How do i clean gunk off my rear?

shimmyz

Donating Member
Registered
I had my local dealer service my bike. They lubed my chain with something that looks like roofing tar. It even feels like tar. If you pinch it between your fingers and pull them apart it stretches between your fingers.

I didn't notice it until after my ride home. This crap is all over my tail,swingarm, rim,and what worries me the most, my tire. It on about 1 1/2 inches of my tread. Thank god I didn't take any aggressive left turns on my way home.

Is there any way to get this stuff off my tire and not make it any more slippery than it is now?

gasoline works great for removing tough grease, wax type substances if you can stand to use it. I clean my rim with it sometimes when its really dirty.

What works even better than all that stuff is kerosene. Also, after you've gotten the trash off your tires... I personally would scuff them a little bit with some sandpaper to make sure it's ALL gone.

Use whatever on the rim and tail section that works for you, gasoline works great on a rag, kerosene, diesel, etc. It all works, some better than other. However, don't get the kerosene or diesel on your tire as it is oil based, soaking into the rubber making is as slippery as the piano lady during sunday services. As far as the tire goes, just use a heavy scrub brush and comet. Scrub the heck out of both sides of the face of the tire then hose it down until all the soap is gone. Do this two or three times if you have grease or oil on the tire. You WILL bust your butt if you have soap or grease on the face of your tire.

I clean my chain spotlessly clean of all the grease then just use spray on wax. Seems to work fine for me. 25k miles is the limit on any chain for me. Replace it before it breaks.

I use CLR Grease Remover.....stuff works like a charm and is not abrasive at all on the rims or surounding areas...gets the chain lube right off......

simple green or greased lightning. Be careful using gasoline, those fumes are real bad for your bone marrow.

Back