Got some slippery snott on my rear wheel

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Well, not sure if cleaning my chain with Diesel fuel today got my rear tire slippery as heck, or if I picked something up on the road.

My ride home from work tonight was like riding on Ice..Not fun at all. When I got home, I did a nice Burn out in the garage to clear the tire, but obviously I can't clean the whole tire this way.

What is a good way to get either diesel fuel, or maybe Anti freeze off of a rear tire? Have to ride to work again in about 5 hours, and don't want to go through the slip & slides again....Help please

i dont think that anything will clean anything but the surface of the tire... you are going to have to go through some heat cycles to get what has "soaked" in to the tire out. Take it easy on those left hand turns! Are you sure it was what you used on the chain that made it slippery like that? I was riding with a friend the other day and long story short, he had a crack in his oil cooler that loaded his rear tire up with oil... wasnt pretty but at least i was there to tell him to pull it over so he didnt lose it in a turn somewhere. The leak was only apparent while the throttle was advanced.

Im not sure if it was the diesel fuel, or what it is...only a guess on my part. When I look at the tire, I can see no signs of oil, or staining. Can't find any oil on body work, oil cooler, or front tire or fender. Tire has proper psi, and nothing has punctured the tire. Visual inspection shows no sign of anything wrong, but a ride around the block proves much different. At about 2000 rpm in 3rd gear, if I crack the throttle 1/4 turn, the bike goes sideways....

I guess I will see what happens when I ride it to work....
sad.gif

Spray it with "purple power" or "super clean"
pressure wash it if you have one. That stuff cleans my chain pretty well along with some elbow grease

Would the tire cleaner at the car wash help that? Then you can take it through the wash and rinse and see if that will help dissolve some of that. yikes!

Glad yer safe...

if you dont find you can clean it- change the tire and save your bike, your skin, your pride..........

Carb Cleaner. But I'm not sure how it will affect the tire's compound. I would spray it on a rag and wipe it down generously. But like I said, I'm not sure how this will affect the compound, so beware, carb cleaner is some pretty hard stuff.

2nd on the carb cleaner. You could use brake cleaner too. It's made to evaporate most of the residue away. Don't let it get on the paint or sit on the powder coating though. I'd cover the stuff you don't want sprayed, get about 5 cans, and use them like mini-pressure washers. Then do some hairy burnouts, The kind where you lean the bike over side to side as far as you can. Maybe have some friends hold the bike solidso it won't launch sideways in your garage. Or just get a new tire and be done with it. The same sort of thing happened to board member JoeDillo. The dealership didn't tighten the oil plug. Afew miles later it let go and oiled down the tire. He didn't wreck! ;The dealership detailed the bike and cleaned off the tire. The day after he picked up the bike the dealership opted to replace the tire. They must know something we don't.

take some light grit sand paper to scuff up the area on the tire and then use some brake cleen and use a little bit cause it could eat your tire compund up. then find a heat gun and apply heat to the sides of where it is and try that then take it out for a quick spin but be careful cause it could cause you to fall. let me know cause i will ask my guru later what he says

b-12 carb cleaner, acetone, enamel reducer, laquer thinner anything that cuts grease you might try dawn dishwashing liquid with water, scrub with a hard bristle brush, that would be the easiest on the tire itself

+1 on Brake cleaner. I've had to clean off tire shine off of tires before and it does the trick.

Im not sure if it was the diesel fuel, or what it is...only a guess on my part. When I look at the tire, I can see no signs of oil, or staining. Can't find any oil on body work, oil cooler, or front tire or fender. Tire has proper psi, and nothing has punctured the tire. Visual inspection shows no sign of anything wrong, but a ride around the block proves much different. At about 2000 rpm in 3rd gear, if I crack the throttle 1/4 turn, the bike goes sideways....

I guess I will see what happens when I ride it to work....  
sad.gif
I think it is linbked to all the mods you have done. Might be best to take them off now and to resist temptation sent them to me and I well instal... errrr hold them for you .
tounge.gif

do more burnouts. for the sides...get a burnout going and just lean the bike over as far as you can...or get off the bike while doing a burnout and lean it over as much as you need. or maybe do a burnout and get a friend to hold a sanding block or similar to the sides
biggrin.gif

do more burnouts. for the sides...get a burnout going and just lean the bike over as far as you can...or get off the bike while doing a burnout and lean it over as much as you need. or maybe do a burnout and get a friend to hold a sanding block or similar to the sides
biggrin.gif
not a close freind! that's very, very dangerous!
just get a new tire if it's that slippery.
soapbox.gif

Well....I have no clue what was on my rear tire, but after 40 miles, most of the slip-slide is gone...almost all gone. Do not atempt 2nd hard throtle, as 2nd gear wheelie with 40 mph gusting winds and slippery tire = Almost SMP.....really wake a guy up real quick. Will do another burnout tonight or in the morning...I will just get off the bike a flip her side to side to try and clean it up....otherwise I will try some acetone, and than new rear tire
sad.gif

I really appreciate all the input...just cant figgure out why I can't see any oil or residue, but was so darn slippery
rock.gif

Take it to the dealer, have them change the oil, then tell them they did it.... just kidding... I used carb cleaner on mine and it worked great....

Scrub it with simple green and a brush then hose it, comes out squeaky clean and won't effect the compound.

Back