How and where do you dispose your...

Find an Ant hill that is causing you problems, apply liberally. Step back, light a match.
Well hot damn Rev, now there's an idea. I'm in rural Tampa (conservation lot) and having lived here yourself you know the fireants can throw up a 1 foot mound overnight.

I have a few just beyond the outskirts of my backyard that could use a little FARR! Guess they call em' fireants for a reason.

Got any clues on how to handle the armadillos tearing up my landscaping?
Yeah Growing up in Colorado we had a lot of property and as kids we would explore all of it, so pops had to keep the place ant free, at least for the most part because my sister is allergic or some crap. So I learned while real young what a liter of Kerosene will do to an Ant hill. Need to supervise it though...

Pour over Ant hill starting with a perimiter, then soak the mound really well. Let it sit for a few minutes letting the kerosene percolate down and then light er' up. Bring a shovel, have a hose ready just in case...

DO NOT DO THIS WITH GASOLINE!!!!

Don't ask me how I know.

Alternatively, if you want, pour it into the gutter, let it run about half a block then light it... YEAH WALL OF FIRE WAS FUN!!!!

Fire Department and Police thought it was slightly less funny though. I was using gasoline and from the top of the hill poured about 3/4 of gallon down the gutter. It never reached a drain, just pooled and ran like a little river...

OF FIRE!!!! It was cool.... I was like 14 I think, and I needed to drain the fuel outta a XR100 fuel tank...

I have an under ground incinerator, ok it is an old storm celler, but I still burn my trash in there.  I just pour the old stuff in a milk jug and throw it down there when I burn the trash.

Don
Something about doing that would concern me.
Why?  It is a solid concrete storm cellar.  There used to be another house on my property.  I put the oil/kerosene down there before I light the fire.
Believe me I'm no recycling nut (although I should try more) but burning old oil as opposed to recycling it?

I have an under ground incinerator, ok it is an old storm celler, but I still burn my trash in there.  I just pour the old stuff in a milk jug and throw it down there when I burn the trash.

Don
Something about doing that would concern me.
Why?  It is a solid concrete storm cellar.  There used to be another house on my property.  I put the oil/kerosene down there before I light the fire.
Believe me I'm no recycling nut (although I should try more) but burning old oil as opposed to recycling it?
I see your point, but it is only 4 quarts every couple of months and I live out in the country. I would be willing to bet that any dump truck or cement truck makes at least that much pollution as it drives on a daily basis.

Don

Leave it on your neighbor's doorstep, ring the doorbell and run away...
Hell, why even ring the door bell, just leave it.

As I am likely the only one on my street who does anything mechanical like this I would be the #1 suspect.

BTW, the kerosene ant hill treatment works wonders.

BTW, the kerosene ant hill treatment works wonders.
laugh.gif
<table style=filter:blur>Ahhhh , the MADNESS !</table>

Build a waste oil fueled miniature blast furnace in your back yard. Practice for a little while on some aluminum scrap, move up to casting things in oilsand, and before you know it you'll be casting your own parts out of soild iron. Waste oil furnaces are becoming more prevalent on the internet among backyard foundry enthusiasts and it's great to get away from a propane furnace and realize that you can do whatever you want for free. WVO works great in furnaces as well. Once you learn to weld AND cast you can make just about anything you could possibly want.

Build a waste oil fueled miniature blast furnace in your back yard. Practice for a little while on some aluminum scrap, move up to casting things in oilsand, and before you know it you'll be casting your own parts out of soild iron. Waste oil furnaces are becoming more prevalent on the internet among backyard foundry enthusiasts and it's great to get away from a propane furnace and realize that you can do whatever you want for free. WVO works great in furnaces as well. Once you learn to weld AND cast you can make just about anything you could possibly want.
Do you have a link to the plans for these furnaces?

Don

Do you have a link to the plans for these furnaces?

Don

umm...well I guess that "plans" is a pretty strong word. Some examples can be found on various sites, but if you're looking for detailed blueprints and parts lists and such you'll have to look elsewhere. Most people I know (myself included) just take the general idea and cobble together something to suit their particular needs and constraints rather than referring exactly to a standard design.

Here's a couple of places that are good for getting started:
Artful Bodger's Home Foundry Work On A Budget

You can buy plans from this guy, apparently. Good beginner info

Good "do as I say, not as I do" information from someone who's been there

Back