horrible fuel MPG????

Nsauble

Registered
I am getting around 30 mpg, I am still pretty new to the busa but is this low?? I would expected it to be higher.

And where are you located? I get md 40s in Missouri. I get worse mileage in Nebraska and South Dakota because of the lousy gas they sell there. I get even worse mileage in South Carolina and Tennessee because of the great roads they have there.

It depends on how you drive it... if you're going speed racer all around town thats about right. I get about 30 when I race a bunch, if I ride it nice around 50.

(BusaWhipped @ Sep. 12 2007,13:44) And where are you located? I get md 40s in Missouri. I get worse mileage in Nebraska and South Dakota because of the lousy gas they sell there. I get even worse mileage in South Carolina and Tennessee because of the great roads they have there.
50 MPG SC
wink.gif

(Cloud9 @ Sep. 12 2007,10:59) What is done to it?
I would start here - what has been done to the Busa?

If it's stock, then yes, it's WAY low.

If there's full exhaust, different air filter, power commander, etc... all these can affect mileage.

I have the 3 items above on mine and I get around 35 - 36. If I start having fun, it's around 28.

(omslaw @ Sep. 12 2007,12:15)
(Cloud9 @ Sep. 12 2007,10:59) What is done to it?
I would start here - what has been done to the Busa?

If it's stock, then yes, it's WAY low.

If there's full exhaust, different air filter, power commander, etc...  all these can affect mileage.

I have the 3 items above on mine and I get around 35 - 36.  If I start having fun, it's around 28.
+1

32 during the week

27 on Sundays
super.gif

Exhaust, filter, PCIII, custom tune, 87 octane

No, that's not low. You (like me) choose to shift above 5500rpm.  
smile.gif

I ride on low roads in 2nd or 3rd and on the highway in 4th or 5th. I only use 6th gear when I decide to cruise or when I "remember" I still have an extra gear.

I mean no disrespect to anyone here. Everyone bought their bike(s) based on there own reason(s). But from a personal standpoint, fuel economy wasn't on my mind when I bought the fastest production bike on the planet.
blush.gif

BTW ... I am, and have always been, between 25 and 30. I've matured as a rider in the past 2 years so I don't speed as much as I used to and I do all my racing at the local strip. In the beginning I was at 25-27. Now I'm at 28-30. I know it isn't much but I didn't start taking it easy until about 8000 miles. I'm now at 11,000.

PS
I had the same concern when I first got the bike:

(NightCrawler @ Sep. 13 2007,22:12) No, that's not low. You (like me) choose to shift above 5500rpm.  
smile.gif

I ride on low roads in 2nd or 3rd and on the highway in 4th or 5th. I only use 6th gear when I decide to cruise or when I "remember" I still have an extra gear.

I mean no disrespect to anyone here. Everyone bought their bike(s) based on there own reason(s). But from a personal standpoint, fuel economy wasn't on my mind when I bought the fastest production bike on the planet.
blush.gif

BTW ... I am, and have always been, between 25 and 30. I've matured as a rider in the past 2 years so I don't speed as much as I used to and I do all my racing at the local strip. In the beginning I was at 25-27. Now I'm at 28-30. I know it isn't much but I didn't start taking it easy until about 8000 miles. I'm now at 11,000.

PS
I had the same concern when I first got the bike:
true but it would be nice to get 50mpg while pulling 175hp

Some troubleshooting:

How do you ride? If you're hard on the throttle all the time or if you're not smooth with the throttle, you'll get bad mileage.

What gas are you using? 87 octane, man. Unless you're tuned or rebuilt for it, higher octanes are going to reduce your mileage.

When was the last time you . . . ? Keep the throttle bodies synched. Keep your plugs changed. Keep your oil fresh. Make sure the tappet clearances are set right.

What sprockets are you using? If you have sprockets with more teeth on them, you'll get less gas mileage.

Are you a big boy? If you're carrying a lot of weight, you'll get less mileage. Same if you have a lot of heavy add-ons and mods.

Is your power commander set up right? If your fuel maps are set too rich, you're naturally going to burn more gas.

Low gas mileage is not always an indication of a mechanical problem but it could be. It's a good idea to keep an eye on it all the time because sudden changes in gas mileage without changing something else on the bike (applies equally to cars) can be the first sign of a problem.

Just some thoughts. I'm sure there is more but that's a start.

--Wag--

race.gif
I guess its because I have been riding more agressive and I am a big boy. But who can get on these bad boys and not wanna get at it???

(Nsauble @ Sep. 14 2007,14:22)
race.gif
 I guess its because I have been riding more agressive and I am a big boy.  But who can get on these bad boys and not wanna get at it???
Me.. I mean not me!

(Suzuki_kid05 @ Sep. 14 2007,16:13) its hard 2 stay off the throttle when u get on such a sexy and powerful machine
If only I could get my wife to say something like that...
pissed.gif

Back