why is my mpg in the crappa?

Sorry I gotta agree with the Cheese. Your on a High Performance Motorcycle, it's going to use a lot of gas. Buy a Vespa for fuel economy ya'll.
smile.gif

I think you were more asking is something wrong though??? No Doesn't sound like anything is wrong at all, I think I get around that. I usually get about 150 miles or so then the fuel light comes on, so I buy more gas.

But really man, Fug your fuel gauge, forget your MPG and twist that damn throttle! High MPG on a performance machine is a shame, NOT something to be proud of. Means your not twisting the throttle like God intended and are busy Grandmothering that Busa. SO ride the shid outta it!!! Put gas in when it's empty, Repeat as neccessary!

And folks, quit worrying about the price of gas, 5 cents here or there isn't going to make a difference in your life when your filling 5 gallons at a time.
thumbs-up.gif

But really man, Fug your fuel gauge, forget your MPG and twist that damn throttle!  High MPG on a performance machine is a shame, NOT something to be proud of.  Means your not twisting the throttle like God intended and are busy Grandmothering that Busa.  SO ride the shid outta it!!!  Put gas in when it's empty, Repeat as neccessary!  
Yeah, I know, I know, but everytime I do the boys in blue seem to have something different to say.

Needless to say, I've since learned from this board and trying it out that the rpm range you ride at makes a whole lotta difference on mpg.

SO WHAT? you ask.....

Well, If your stuck in traffic keep it down low (unless you're afraid of other drivers and want to keep the hp and torque up in the higher range) to save on gas cause your not going anywhere anyways.

But if you have open road ahead...ride her like you stole her... and who cares about gas mileage (there's plenty of gas stations around).

(Oh and yeah, you were correct, I started this post to make sure I didn't have a problem with my bike because I didn't yet make that correlation between RPM and MPG)

I'm having the same problem. I was consistantly getting between 44 and 49 mpg. NOW, suddenly I'm getting 32 to 36mpg. Usually on the lower end of that spectrum. Now... why am I worried? Because gas mileage shouldn't suddenly drop. Anyone that says otherwise is simply being stupid. SOMETHING has to have caused the drop.

Why do I care? Because I do sport-TOURING. I take long trips. Gas prices are up. I don't want to waste money and I don't want to be stopping all the time to fill up.

I've also noticed the bike has been running rich. I can only assume the two issues go hand in hand.

I'm working on it but havn't found a solution thus far.

Fill the tank up and take it out on a LONG highway trip in 6th gear.

After my '04 was fully broke in my gas mileage improved.

This summer I went on a 600 mile trip over the course of 12 hours. Averaging 75 to 80 mph in 6th gear my trip computer reported 49 mpg. I kept tract of mileage and exactly how much gas was put in. The MPG display is dead on accurate.

Around town riding I average 42 mpg. I like my rpms to be around 4.5 to 5K even while on small highways connecting local towns.

If my mileage dropped off by 10+ mpg for no reason I'd damn sure find out why. If something is wrong, something is wrong...the correlation of it being a high performance bike and you should be happy it's getting 30 mpg is ridiculous.

Sounds fimiliar, the very first ride (day) I got my bike I was getting 48.5 mpg.
3K miles later and, a pcIIIr, PAIR b gone kit, K&N filter, Yoshi RS3's I now get between 33 (acting up in the twisties) to 42-44 behaving myself under the publics eye.
I only burn Shell "V-Power" 92+ octane with none of that ethanol crap or anything else stupid in it.

Mine sucks for 2 primary reasons.

1. I need a friggin power commander

2. I friggin weigh over 270lbs.

Better believe #2 has a lot to do with it.

I still get #### for gas milage, but I never really did get any GOOD milage... Seems 150 miles and it's time to refuel. Prolly a couple hundred if I keep her on the Interstate but that has only happened once thus far. It's not where I spend much time, and I tend to get all happy and twist away on that throttle every chance I get. I like the acceleration, I like that throttle... It's a good thing..

So not much has changed...

Changed from premium to Mid-Grade last summer and didn't notice any change in Milage though the bike does seem to be happier.

I'm coming into this topic a little late (ducking while typing), but I was wondering the same thing as Jay. I have a '99 that had 1900 miles on it when I picked it up in August. I started noticeing that the 45mpg that I was getting right after I got it is now down to 'bout 39mph. Under no pretences that this is a Vespa gas saver, just wanted to know if I had a problem or not. I've got 10,005 miles on it as of this weekend so I guess it's just the normal mileage settling in.

Safe to put my head up now?
biggrin.gif

I'm coming into this topic a little late (ducking while typing), but I was wondering the same thing as Jay. I have a '99 that had 1900 miles on it when I picked it up in August. I started noticeing that the 45mpg that I was getting right after I got it is now down to 'bout 39mph. Under no pretences that this is a Vespa gas saver, just wanted to know if I had a problem or not. I've got 10,005 miles on it as of this weekend so I guess it's just the normal mileage settling in.

Safe to put my head up now?
biggrin.gif
Nope, put it back down.

J/K.

The rev's you keep it at make a huge difference. That is what was responsible for my decrease. Could you be like me and when you first got the bike you were taking it easy and not reving it to high.... and now a couple months later you are more comfortable on it and rev it higher and keep the revs in a higher range than before??

What kind of weather are you having. I also have an '04 LE, and my mileage dropped suddenly about 12mpg when it got COLD anf RAINY. The cooler air allows for a higher volume of air/fuel mixture to get in the piston. Good forr performance! Bad for mileage! High moisture makes if harder for the mixture to combust. Bad for performance and mileage.

Keep track of your mileage on warm and cold days and see what the difference is. When the weather improves here, I'll be doing the same.

BTW...I'm past the break-in and I get 32-37 mpg (mixed city/highway) with 1100 miles on mine.

beerchug.gif

Jay,
You're absolutly right. First couple of months: took it kinda easy. Last couple of months: tearing it up!
biggrin.gif

Tru,
Since we've had a little cold spell down here (55-60....Hey, it's cold to us!
smile.gif
), and 15 straight days of rain, that could be a problem, too.

Jay,
You're absolutly right. First couple of months: took it kinda easy. Last couple of months: tearing it up!
biggrin.gif
Next time you fill it up, keep the rev's below 3K all the time until you have to fill up again, and I bet you'll be back to 50mpg.

I never tried doing this, because I never wanted to go that slow again, but if you wanted to make sure, it's something to try.

My EX 250 Ninja started out getting 70 mpg
now I only get 65. No Matter how I drive it.

Can't wait to burn more fuel faster!
(First Post!!)
Still probably 2 years from a Busa but by religiously trackin
this sight I'll be plenty informed for my purchase!
I love Hayabusi (is that correct plural form?)

On a stock bike and when your just getting use to it most people are 40+ MPG. After that caution period ends and they start twistin' the throttle mid 30's are normal. If you go on a long ride and don't exceed 3500 RPM or so you could get close to 50 MPG. When the weather turns cold some MPG will be lost to longer warm up time.

As I've mentioned before. I ride the bike the same now as I always have an my mileage dropped from 46-49 to 31-39 mpg. Sorry, but that ain't normal.

Back