Poor gas mileage

jermzfree

Registered
I have an 02 busa with 12k. I usually average around 38-40 mpg but recently have been getting around 30 mpg on a consistent basis. She's running good other than the lower mpg. Air Filter is clean. Might it be time for a tune up? Does anyone have any pointers what to check?

:beerchug:

I guess you have already checked your tire pressure. Your probably running too rich. Check your spark plugs to see if thats true. If it is, then im also guessing your PC needs to be tuned. If your not ridding her hard, then you should be getting 35-40mpg or more.

check the vacuum sensor on the rear of the air box, if it is loose or the vacuum line came off it will in fact run rich....its in the very back of the box on the left side...tiny little squar connector with 3 wires and a vacuum hose that leads to the 4 intakes

The vacuum sensor is fine. I did notice a disconnected tube in the back of the air box, the tube that connects to the crankcase. I don't think that should cause any issues though.

I'm going to try cleaning out the intake valves for carbon build up and run some fuel treatment through her and see what that does.

I'll post again in a week or so and give an update.

Any other tips I'll appreciate. Thanks:thumbsup:

check the vacuum sensor on the rear of the air box, if it is loose or the vacuum line came off it will in fact run rich....

If you unplug that vacuum line from the sensor the bike will not start or run. A little food for thought I thought that was interesting.

Last edited:
Cleaned out the intake valves with seafoam, did not notice any improvement. Changed the sparkplugs, tadaaaaaaaa:cheerleader: More acceleration especially in lower rpms. Gas mileage should go back to normal I expect. The plugs had 9k on them by the way.

Back