Home Made Sports Drink? Hot Weather Riding.

steelhead

Registered
I'm writing this somewhat mundane topic because I think it might actually keep us healthy on the road. I think drinking just plain water is not enough. Can this ORS formula be used for on the road for motorcyclers? (see below)

Basically,as most of us may know, drinking too much water *alone* without restoring the electrolytes in our bodies is harmful. So on long range touring, how do we practically maintain these electrolyte levels? Advice anyone?

I experienced it on a long range tour when I went on cheap meals, drank coffee, and drank too much pure water.

I've been reading up on ORS therapy (in 3rd world nations) at wikipedia and it looks like a good idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy

Direction:
1 Liter Water
8 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
half cup orange juice (for potassium)

Drink about 200-300 ml per hour?

I heard an ORS drink is better than a sportsdrink because the latter is too sugary. I wouldn't know, but this is what I've been reading. I've also read too much fruit juice intake *alone* has excess sorbitol, which is also not digestable (prune juice effect). I've read that bannans and half a cup of orange juice is good (in the ORS) for potassium (and taste). We need the salt for sodium, and the sugar for absorption characteristics. (too much sugar bad, though).

It's all very interesting stuff. I've already made the ORS solution and it tastes like sports drink. But home-made!

What is your rehydration strategy on the road, and what is your methodology?

Ride Safe Friends!
muscle.gif

Medical opinions?

Your recipe for rehydration sounds good. Adding a banana a day would help too. On long rides we need to replace the electrolytes too.

I agree with you Steelhead, but it is just as important to stress to people that they must stay hydrated even if it is just water. I have seen too many people that get off their scoot, after a 90 minute hard run. Peel off the leathers and grab a soda.

Don

BTW, I am going to try your solution and put it in my camel back.

My kids trainer says 1/2 water and 1/2 Gatorade. BTW he trains Olympic athletes.............. kencools.com

(hbr @ Mar. 26 2007,06:34) My kids trainer says 1/2 water and 1/2 Gatorade.  BTW he trains Olympic athletes..............   kencools.com
I've been doing this, using my camelbak...

FYI, smart water has electrolytes as well, so is a good mineral water to look into.

0 cals with most of the benefits of Gatorade (basically losing the sugar benefit, but we are oversugared as a society anyway).

okay...maybe I can shed a bit of light on this topic...your gut has transporters that couple the uptake of glucose with the uptake of sodium...both of these must bind to the transporter for it to be active...okay...normally this pump is important for the uptake of glucose for metabolism...however...we can take advantage of this pumps ability to take up sodium in presence of glucose because where sodium goes water follows...so this pump allows us to take up the needed electrolytes and water with one solution...now...if any of the solutes (glucose, sodium, etc) are increased by too much the solution becomes more concentrated than the blood and then causes you know what (hint...you may have to change your underwear)...recently there has been evidence that using polymers of sugar that can be digested (such as starch) will not increase the concentration of the solution (not cause the runs) because they are broken down on the intestinal surface into glucose yet they provide more glucose to increase the absorption of sodium and water...anyways...the orange juice is also important for citrate and potassium for a balance of electrolytes and the buffering capability of citrate...now I know that is probably more than you needed to know on the subject...but we just got done going over it in my physiology and biochemistry classes so I actually wanted to use the information...anyways...looks like your solution is about right!

Do we need so many carbohydrates in sportsdrinks for motorcyclers? We usually ride and then stop off at a roadside diner. A sportsdrink with too many carbohydrates may actually be unnecessary given this tradition. I think centrally, we need to keep our electrolytic level balanced and food comes during rest stops. A sportsdrink may have too much sugar or extra carbs which we don't need.

It seems the best solution would be to be well hydrated before the ride. Anything you drink afterwards would just be playing catch up.

(Somebody1010 @ Mar. 26 2007,18:31)
(hbr @ Mar. 26 2007,08:34) My kids trainer says 1/2 water and 1/2 Gatorade. BTW he trains Olympic athletes.............. kencools.com
+1
+2. 2 containers. Couple gulps of gatorade then water. Works like a charm!

I love the x factor red gatorade.
beerchug.gif

(steelhead @ Mar. 26 2007,03:55) I'm writing this somewhat mundane topic because I think it might actually keep us healthy on the road. I think drinking just plain water is not enough. Can this ORS formula be used for on the road for motorcyclers? (see below)

Basically,as most of us may know, drinking too much water *alone* without restoring the electrolytes in our bodies is harmful. So on long range touring, how do we practically maintain these electrolyte levels? Advice anyone?

I experienced it on a long range tour when I went on cheap meals, drank coffee, and drank too much pure water.

I've been reading up on ORS therapy (in 3rd world nations) at wikipedia and it looks like a good idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_rehydration_therapy

Direction:
1 Liter Water
8 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
half cup orange juice (for potassium)

Drink about 200-300 ml per hour?

I heard an ORS drink is better than a sportsdrink because the latter is too sugary.  I wouldn't know, but this is what I've been reading. I've also read too much fruit juice intake *alone* has excess sorbitol, which is also not digestable (prune juice effect).  I've read that bannans and half a cup of orange juice is good (in the ORS) for potassium (and taste). We need the salt for sodium, and the sugar for absorption characteristics. (too much sugar bad, though).

It's all very interesting stuff. I've already made the ORS solution and it tastes like sports drink. But home-made!

What is your rehydration strategy on the road, and what is your methodology?

Ride Safe Friends!
muscle.gif

Medical opinions?

I think you are 'thinking' way too much...

My advice is to drink water, Coke, Gatorade, and whatever else you need... just as long as you keep the fluids at the right level in your body (and inside the bike) for long trips. If you have fuel (food) along with the liquids, you'll do fine.

I'm with Panda...just get some to drink and not too much food...you should be okay...get under the tree and short nap would be +
biggrin.gif

u bunch of pansies

thirsty? drink
hungry? eat

moX

now I wait for some pinhead to tell me its bad to wait until you are thirsty. like its gunna kill you or something. sif none of us have ever felt thirsty and yet we are all alive to read this.

enjoy handing your money over to companies throwing sugar, salt and some orange color in a bottle for you.

I seem to do OK with rest, good meals/food and plenty fluids before the ride, then breaks along the way with plain water. I don't drink sodas or alcohol ever so that's not an issue and I don't live in the Third World (I think) or am I riding tank full marathons where I need a life saving elixirs so adequate food nutrition and water with rest seems to work just fine.

Back