Hot weather riding myths busted -- from Sound Rider

Ok....my 2 cents here...in Florida once it gets over 95...f* it....you will be miserable ANYTIME you are required to stop. No matter what you do... so dont stop. LOL. Thats the best cure. Or wait until after 10pm to ride!

lived in daytona for 10 years... rode every day... yes it gets "sticky" if you are wearing the wrong stuff.. like jeans.. i agree with the legs with light undergarments for protection while still keeping mobile and cool

Anyone here ever used a cooling vest? I'm unclear as to how they work. You're supposed to soak them, so are you riding with a wet vest against your skin? Sounds uncomfortable.

they are not uncomfortable if you are wearing under armor or something of that nature underneath your cooling vest. They work wonder in the Texas Heat.

Myth #9: Gatorade and energy drinks provide the proper hydration and electrolytes my body needs to ride in the hot sun. The sport drink commercials said so.
Gatorade and energy drinks are loaded with sugar and caffeine, which is essentially an oxymoronic recipe that backfires when it comes to hydration since these two ingredients promote dehydration. If you're looking to increase your intake of electrolytes us an electrolyte additive and mix it with your water, juice, diet soda or any other beverage you like.
• SR! Recommends: Elete Electrolyte add-in

yeah deffinatly not completly on the up and up...

the hydration ones are a little shaky as well... for instance... gatorade is an excellent rehydration drink...

the sugar in the form of HFC gives immediate quick burn energy(carbo's),it doesnt containt ANY caffine(where that came from is beyond me) ... and it specifically has sodium, potassium, and chloride in it which are the very deffinition of electrolytes...

The only other question is osmolarity/osmolality of the solution(gatorade).. Which in a dehydrated condition means, these products(water,electrolytes, and sugars) will cross into the blood... higher concentration to lower concentration... basic chemistry...

however, it still offers a few ideas where to look for some gear options.. which is good.. even if it is a shameless way to plug their wares..

Don was always full of helpful information. We miss you, buddy... :(

Back