Holy Crap! Another earthquake!

I’m glad everyone’s alright. The farther east you go the harder they feel. Ca has bigger ones all the time but because the tectonic plates are so shattered out there they don’t feel very big and don’t travel as far. As you move towards the East coast the ground turns to slate and the plates are solid so the shock waves travel farther and “fell” more powerful. A 4.0 quake on the East coast feels like 7.0 quakes out West. I know because I’ve lived in both places and been through quakes on each side. The California people were laughing at Washington DC folks a few months ago when they had their quake but I guaranty it “felt” bigger than any quake CA has had in a while.

The difference between East and West cast quakes was best described to me by a geoscientist when he said imagine you are standing in the sand at the beach and I drop a bowling ball 6’’ from your feet. You would feel it but if I moved 12’’ away you would feel it even less, move 2’ away and you wouldn’t even feel it anymore; that would be the shattered tectonic plates of the West coast. Now imagine you’re standing on a solid concrete slab and I drop the same bowling ball from the same height (thus creating the same size quake) you would feel it more, I could then drop that ball from 10’ away and you would still feel it. The shock waves travel much further and “feel” stronger out East. That it is why the quake in DC was felt in OH and VT, and it was only a 5.8 or something like that.

Glad you are all OK! At least after an Earthquake Doug, you don't have to scour the neighborhood looking to help the neighbors put their lives back together. Not having any history with Tornados, Lamb will take an earthquake anyday. The houses and buildings in The good ol USA are designed to move and shimmy a bit, good for an earthquake. After the real devastation I saw visiting the Kings in May, that seems like a real problem. Watching it on radar doesn't help feep the roof on.

Back