Hmf problems

nhrider

Registered
Having heard of many people having a hard time installing the HMF high mount system I chose to have a shop do it for me. Well, after a week a them going back and forth my shop tells me the only way to do it is to cut the plastic on the rear section. Now my bike was only three weeks old when I put it away for the winter and I don't want to mess it up after spending $1000 for an exhaust that fits.
Should I return it and go with the Brock? Should I just let the shop make it work?
By the way I read all the threads on this and gave them to the shop. They insist they tries everything and the pipe still hits the swing arm and cant clear the passenger pegs. HMF has been very cooperative and offered to send a new one out. However I am paying labor for all this and its getting up there.

I did install my self and it was tough took me about 14 hours all together over 2 days . but in the end iwas able to get all plastic rivits in the tail . i did not melt plastic ,I DID NOT CUT ANY PLASTIC.. and have rear pegs on bike ,,and have at least 1/4 inch room from left side swingarm ...your gonna need a lot of patience,,,as far as a shop doing this on your dime this will get costly....you might have wanted to attempt this on your own ...I did only cause there was a lot of help from other board members in the end it worked out great ..if yyou need any help PM me ...

Having heard of many people having a hard time installing the HMF high mount system I chose to have a shop do it for me. Well, after a week a them going back and forth my shop tells me the only way to do it is to cut the plastic on the rear section. Now my bike was only three weeks old when I put it away for the winter and I don't want to mess it up after spending $1000 for an exhaust that fits.
Should I return it and go with the Brock? Should I just let the shop make it work?
By the way I read all the threads on this and gave them to the shop. They insist they tries everything and the pipe still hits the swing arm and cant clear the passenger pegs. HMF has been very cooperative and offered to send a new one out. However I am paying labor for all this and its getting up there.
Find a new shop,it fits without touching the swingarm and clears the pegs as well,I promise.NJ.

Whatever you do, get your bike out of there
wow.gif
I can't bear the thought of a nice new Busa having some "shop professional" hacking it up. I can't believe they had the nerve to ask you. Good luck with it.

Find a new shop,it fits without touching the swingarm and clears the pegs as well,I promise.NJ.
+1

DON'T CUT anything
wow.gif
. If you have to cut it's either the shop that is WRONG
wink.gif
 or in the manufacturing. And if it's the manufacturer, just do what they offered and send it back. Forget what you spent on Labor, that's done and over. You just want it done RIGHT
tounge.gif
. If not, you'll always look like this
sad.gif
 and plan on how you can fix it
cool.gif

I installed my own and the only thig I modified was the rear foot peg mount arms (ground top bolt hole locations down to clear inside of plastic and ground a curve shape in back side to go around pipe) I only did this because I wanted the mufflers out in front and tiped in in the rear. Tell your dealer to check that they have the mid pipes on the correct sides?

thanks for the replies. I am definately not letting them cut the plastic! I spent hours searching on here, and found the exact same problem in an old post. Like 05busa said it was the mid pipes installed on the wrong side. NOw I admit that I don'd know crap about this, but I showed this to the shop and they said it was impossible to install the mid pipes wrong, there is only one way to do it. I am waiting for a call back from them now. I believe HMF is going to send an entire new system out, and they will try again. If it isn's a manufacturer defect I don't know what to do!

thanks for the replies. I am definately not letting them cut the plastic! I spent hours searching on here, and found the exact same problem in an old post. Like 05busa said it was the mid pipes installed on the wrong side. NOw I admit that I don'd know crap about this, but I showed this to the shop and they said it was impossible to install the mid pipes wrong, there is only one way to do it. I am waiting for a call back from them now. I believe HMF is going to send an entire new system out, and they will try again. If it isn's a manufacturer defect I don't know what to do!
Pm pipefighter,he's done this install several times,I've done it twice,didnt cut a dang thing.I dont know what else to say but find another installer.

The shop quit. Just called and told me nothing they can do, come pick it up. They insist it was manufactured wrong and the left mid pipe is too long, causing the bend in the pipe to be too far down and making it hit the swing arm. I guess I am gonna send it back for a refund and find a different exhaust and DEFINATELY a new shop to do the work!

Try to do the install yourself.
Don't let this get you down. It is not as hard as everyone puts off. I've done it a few times so I should know.

Sounds like he's already made his mind up about the exhaust,so I figured I'd post some gratuitist smilies!

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142013823 -->

Check out this dude...Click here

Back