HIGH SPEED BLOWOUT!!!!!

LoBusa

Registered
Let me first start by saying THANK GOD for watching over me today!! I do believe if it were not for the grace of God, I would not be here to tell this story....

Today I was riding with my sister about an hour from my house to drop off some parts to be chromed. It took us forever to get out there because of the friday rush hour traffic. We split lanes most of the way out there but made it safe and sound, dropped off the parts and then headed home.

We were heading back home in the opposite direction of traffic down a 2 lane HWY through the country. Nothing in this area but cows, a few lumbering trucks and the wind... Once we passed everyone and had open road in front of us, we took off..... We were doing about 140 mph when I noticed that the road started to feel odd, like it had some crazy grooves in it. I slowed up a bit and then the bike started to wobble... Sis kept rolling along unaware that I was having a major problem... The slower I got the more the bike began to shake... Once I got under 80MPH it was shakin like crazy.. I remember someone from the board telling a story about a high speed blowout and how he suggested that you NEVER hit the brakes. I squeezed my legs in tight against the tank, held on, and let the bike slow down on it's own. The slower it got the more it wobbled. But it stayed up and I eased it towards the side of the road where it finally stopped.

Once I stopped shaking, and put the kickstand down and almost dropped the bike because it was so low the stand would barely hold it up, I got off and watched the rear tire slowly become completely flat... I flashed to the day before where I was riding up in the mountains at crazy high speed through twisties made in heaven... What if it had happened yesterday?
rock.gif

All I could do was thank God that he was watching over me... I have heard too many stories of highspeed blowouts where the bike pitched and threw the rider... I don't know where I got the advice from about not hitting the brakes, but whoever you are, THANKS!!

After 2 hours on the side of the road, waiting for my friend and mechanic to come get me, I am just happy to be here telling you all this story... Only 1 person stopped to ask if we were okay... I was really disappointed to see so many motorcycles pass us and just look... We were out in the middle of NO WHERE... No one wanted to help.. Thank you to the couple in the truck who asked if we needed assistance or a tow... And a big thank you to my fellow Busa riding friend and mechanic Joe, who is always there for me when I need him!

Ride safe all... Life is precious.. Count your blessings....

LoBusa

Glad it worked out OK Lo!

Similar thing happend to me on the way to work. (90 mph through the cloverleaf, bike feels wobblie, when I got to work, tire flat, exploded rim.

R_Wheel_1.JPG

yeh man, glad to hear you pulled it out. I had that happen on my Lexus back in the day with a 30 series tire......
was scared to death and was doing about 120mph on my way to Frisco.

god def. blessed you.
I dread moments like that one, but you are a pro, you kept cool and nothing happened to you.
the bike can be replaced and the tire will only cost $170, but you can't be replaced.

glad to read your story.

Glad to hear you are safe and that people were there to help you (eventually ). I'm sure you found the experience as enjoyable as bobbing for frenchfries.

a lonnngggg time ago when i was 18 i was on my gpz550 coming back from a gym and my towel that i had bungied to the back seat started flapping in the wind and before i knew it, it got down to the rear wheel and all wrapped up in the chain (i didnt know it at the time) and the rear wheel just locked up... i noticed the bike was kinda sliding all of a sudden and the engine died... no wobbles or anything, but i just slid over to the side of the road and couldnt help but say wow! and geezzz!

man alive; i was...

<!--EDIT|MikesHardware
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080975635 -->

Good thang ya got dem GUNS!
laugh.gif

Now ya now what Steve Irwin goes thru when he's wrestling thos gators.

Glad you are ok, Baby Girl!!
thumbs-up.gif

Congrats on keeping your cool and keeping things under control.
beerchug.gif

Glad you made it out okay.
biggrin.gif

Wow.
wow.gif
Looks like you kept your cool, not that I'm surprised.

That is my greatest fear also. I changed my rear tire yesterday because I noticed the wear bar was exposed. I wouldn't even ride it to the corner store once I noticed it.

Now get your tire changed and PM me for a ride!!
smile.gif

Glad you are ok. I have never had that experience at speed. I once had a front tire go flat instantly but I was in town doing only 35 luckily.

WOW, glad to hear all is ok Lori. Congratulations on keeping your cool and riding it through. Thank God.

<!--EDIT|flrider
Reason for Edit: None given...|1080991627 -->

Bummer! You kept your head though and you're thankfully safe. I've had two rear blowouts in my years of riding but both were uneventful and I wobbled to a stop both times. The thought of a front blowout is REALLY scary!!!
wow.gif

Lo,

Glad you are OK. Shaken not stirred eh? I just hope if it happens to me I can keep a cool head and come out of it as well as you did. It allways amazes me how many people drive right past you like you don't exist. Once again, I'm glad you are still in one piece.

To better days and tires with air in them,

Steve

WOW LO, isnt it funny that when your suddenly in the mix and the grap is hittin the fan, that you daydream off to never never land and in slow motion yet real fast & in in a hurry, begin remembering stuff that you would have never thought of before? Way ta keep dem senses sharp.
WHERE WAS DA CELL PHONE CUPCAKE?

Awwww... POOR DEX, here's the best I can do at the moment.

See it didnt happen yesterday because it twas your Bday
smile.gif
so all your grief was the next day at least thats how it should work.

Glad ya made it, told yaw TRU RYDA. So ole dex is walkin with a gimp for a minute eh?

She kept the rubba side down!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lo, yes, that God you made it thru with his gift of your life and your skill and grace in control!! Please share what you know of your situation: tire mialge, rim condition, situation - had you hit a pot hole or som glass? did you find a slash. Ejukamate us! SO GLAD you are okay! And thanks for sharing the realities of cycling with us.

I'm glad you got out un harmed. Yes.....Someone was up there lookin out! GOD bless!

Dan
smile.gif

Back