HID Lighting

OB_Rustie

Registered
I've been getting several requests for HID costs, so here is some additional info:

On all autos, just low beams are HID and the high beams remain halogen. I had both low AND high converted for about $900. This gives me a WHOPPING night view (at the speeds the Busa is capable of, it needs it!). Obviously, converting only the low beam would be half the $$$. Since I wanted to continue riding my bike, I bit the $230 bullet and bought another new headlight assembly and had that converted. I now have a stock assembly AND the HID assembly. Should I ever sell the Busa, I'd never get all my $$$ for the HID, so I felt the extra $230 would be well spent allowing me to convert the bike right back to stock and not loose a penny on a $900 twin HID assembly. It can easily be put on any other bike OR car (twin low beams only for a car).

And here's a re-print from an earlier post that has the info on who did my HID conversion mod:

Baja Designs (http://www.bajadesigns.com/p25b.html) finished the conversion in about one week. The connections are real simple. First connection is directly to the battery for power (both poles) and then the only other connection is to the original bulb's wiring harness for the single "trigger wire" (connected to the bulb harness' "+" lead)........that's it! The trigger wire activates the included HID relay to fire the
"direct battery powered" HID bulbs (NON shielded). The special Busa low beam reflector prevents blinding oncoming drivers, but that "projector lensed" high beam with a HID bulb in place is just TOTALLY AWESOME!!! This extreme amount of W-I-D-E "white light" really opens up your night time "peripheral vision" to more than double that of the halogen..........nearly 90% of daylight!!! As mentioned, IF only on the HID low beam, you will not blind oncoming drivers.......same can't be said for the high beam tho......definitely MAKES people notice you......and they get outa your way, FAST!!! L8R mates.........

Very close to double..........expecially since the light color is so much brighter/whiter than halogens. Nearly everything withing your "daylight range" of peripheral vision is usable. Halogens seem to just wash out at the extreme ends (left, right and forward) with far inferior yellow light. Colors show up MUCH better too........like vegetation, animals, curbs, debris, potholes etc.

rustie,
is the h.i.d. conversion heavier than stock?
i like the idea (have them on my car), but i spend a lot of money to make the bike as light as possible. i have seen some of the h.i.d. boxes and they look heavy.
thanks.

The heaviest item is the small sealed high voltage output transformer........it does weigh a little over one pound, so installing BOTH high and low beam HID units would obviously be about three lbs total. The balance of items are just wire, one light weight relay (per unit) and of course, the HID bulb itself......which weighs no more than stock (only grams). If you are worried about weight, install the low beam only. Two pounds or so will make absolutely NO difference on a Busa! If you haven't yet changed your exhaust system to a 4-2-1, there's about 20+ pounds hiding there (I assume you already have). With the already fairly hefty weight of the bike, even that 20+ pound change was just barely noticable on mine (excess weight that was located fairly low to begin with). Hell, just take ONE big dump before you ride and you'll have easily made up for it!!!

Both high and low beam HID bulbs are unshielded. No shielded bulb is necessary with the Busa lens.......it does all the "shielding" internally itself for the important low beam (light projection shape).........which is a very wide and LOW fan shaped output. The high beam is unnecessary to shield for obvious reasons........

Back