HID installation with pics

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
Busahaya and I installed his HID last night and I'm sure there are many different ways to do it, but here's ours for those who might be having any problems.

1st we noticed the bulb is a little loose due to the thinner socket. So we cut a piece of cardboard folded it up and wrapped it in electric tape.

buildupalone1.jpg

Then we placed it on the socket where the spring/wire clamp holds the socket bulb assy.. We thought about bending the wire spring to account for the thinner socket, but you might screw it up and you won't be able to use the stock socket again without bending the wire clamp back to its orginal shape.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107140052 -->

buildup1.jpg

Ignore the plug and just push in your wire connectors into the stock plug. I would wrap electrical tape around the metal just to keep it clean and free of water.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107144593 -->

connector1.jpg

3rd You have to place the big box somewhere. We choose just above the right blinker zip ties to the blinker bracket and the wire clamp.

bigbox.jpg

We didn't like on top of the ram air tube because it gets hotter there and the instruction said to place it in a well ventilated area to keep it cool.

Another shot

bigbox1.jpg

4th You have to place the small box somewhere.  We choose just above and to the right of the left blinker zip tied to a wire bundle and part of the fairing where you can get the zip tie around.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107139698 -->

smallbox.jpg

Even just zip tied, both the big and small boxes are very secure and won't rattle or come loose.

Another shot

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107139661 -->

smallbox1.jpg

Finally 5th you have to route the wires, the pic shows it best. Make sure the wires coming out of the bulb assy. do not hang too low or they will interfere with the damper.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107139780 -->

wires.jpg

what you afraid to get your hands dirty?
laugh.gif
I'm sure the pictures will help people out a lot. How about a few night shots to see the difference in light.

We didn't like on top of the ram air tube because it gets hotter there and the instruction said to place it in a well ventilated area to keep it cool.

Another shot
Doesn't the ram air tube have fresh cool air running through it.
rock.gif
Just givin' you a hard time Charles thanks for the info and pics.
cool.gif

Another shot
Doesn't the ram air tube have fresh cool air running through it.  
rock.gif
  Just givin' you a hard time Charles thanks for the info and pics.  
cool.gif
It was the engine heat that made that area much hotter than up inside the nose fairing. Especially at a stop, the heat just billows up.

laugh.gif
  I'm sure the pictures will help people out a lot.  How about a few night shots to see the difference in light.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

You know better than that!!

After all I do have an A&P license  
wink.gif

That was actually Busahaya's hand, I would never use gloves!!

Just take a look at'em, they're still stained from the chain lube, that crap never comes off!!!!
tounge.gif

Check out ks-waterbugs topic, its got some pics of the lights on and compared to stock light.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1107146467 -->

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I'm sure the pictures will help people out a lot. How about a few night shots to see the difference in light.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

wink.gif

Just take a look at'em, they're still stained from the chain lube, that crap never comes off!!!!
tounge.gif

Check out ks-waterbugs topic, its got some pics of the lights on and compared to stock light.
Great stuff CharlesBusa, nice step by step. As far as the plastic gloves, just a precautionary measure for not getting the bulb contaminated with any finger prints. The oils from our skin could make the bulb not operate properly.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

ICEMANN has a good suggestion that I think is better than our folded cardboard wrapped in tape. He suggested foam, which will stay put better than our idea.

laugh.gif
  I'm sure the pictures will help people out a lot.  How about a few night shots to see the difference in light.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

wink.gif

tounge.gif

Great stuff CharlesBusa, nice step by step. As far as the plastic gloves, just a precautionary measure for not getting the bulb contaminated with any finger prints. The oils from our skin could make the bulb not operate properly.
laugh.gif
likely excuse.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I think I got screwed. My HID bulb has nothing to keep it from falling INTO the light housing. There is just simply nothing to hold it. I have a clear piece of plastic that is a perfect fit into the housing socket but the bulb isn't "connected to it" and could easily just fall into the light housing. WTH am I supposed to do with this thing?

Back