HID HEADLAMP MOD

The installation of most of the HID kits IS PLUG AND PLAY for the most part. All Show was merely pointing out the fact that the stock reflectors may project light in a mannner that may direct unwanted light at on coming traffic.

I have HID in my low beam, and with proper adjustments, the low beam works fine. There are virtually no Lighting mods that you can do to any vehicle that are DOT approved. In other words, mod your lighting at your own risk.

So condider adding HID and using the extra lumens it provides, or consider doing the mod that All Show has detailed here. Either way, you'll be estatic at the results HID provides.

Personally I can appreciate the effort that All Show put forth, however, I am not up for opening my headlight housing. By the letter of the law, if your bike didn't come with HID you're gonna be illegal either way it goes, so I am not going to go through the trouble. Just my opinion.

People need to consider that nearly all of the mods we do aren't legal. Especially lighting and exhaust....but we do it anyway.

beerchug.gif

The installation of most of the HID kits IS PLUG AND PLAY for the most part.  All Show was merely pointing out the fact that the stock reflectors may project light in a mannner that may direct unwanted light at on coming traffic.

I have HID in my low beam, and with proper adjustments, the low beam works fine.  There are virtually no Lighting mods that you can do to any vehicle that are DOT approved.  In other words, mod your lighting at your own risk.

So condider adding HID and using the extra lumens it provides, or consider doing the mod that All Show has detailed here.  Either way, you'll be estatic at the results HID provides.

Personally I can appreciate the effort that All Show put forth, however, I am not up for opening my headlight housing.  By the letter of the law, if your bike didn't come with HID you're gonna be illegal either way it goes, so I am not going to go through the trouble.  Just my opinion.

People need to consider that nearly all of the mods we do aren't legal.  Especially lighting and exhaust....but we do it anyway.

beerchug.gif
Very true! Well said. And to Jaddie, it stands for High Intensity Discharge.

Looks sweet man but can someone come in with a normal plug and play system and post the pics next to the moded plug and play shown here thanks
beerchug.gif
thumb_up.gif
lurk.gif

I understand the reasoning for inverting the projector lens.  I recently did an HID install on mine and posted a very detailed description of everything I did, and WHY I did it and got the same kind of responses from a bunch of people.  I think a lot of people on here either simply don't understand, or they just mainly look at the pictures and go "why the heck is he doing that?"  I wired a timed relay into mine and explained what I was doin, and why I was doing so much wiring and got countless responses from people saying things like "Wow, that's a lot of wiring!  Glad I didn't get that kit.  Mine was plug and play."  I think some people just don't pay attention.
I have to agree. Thank you. I understand lighting is a world itself.
I guess you have to be into it to appreciate and notice
the difference between this and that you know? I am a light
fanatic. Lights are the very first thing I do to any vehicle.
Makes a big difference
I remember I had alot of people asking about my custom undertail
and lights

my lights at the top

maybe if you had some comparison pics to show the difference between the 2. I can see the cutoff which would make a huge difference in the projection of the light. I will consider this mod later this year.

after reading it a few times, I see that all you do is rotate the projector 180 degree's?
rock.gif
?
yes sir that is correct
I will tonight most likely take pics of before
and after pics

I'm assuming the retro fit only applies to the use of the High beam Projector lense and NOT the Low beam housing....
...or does it??

Now I'm confused.
Does this mean I should put the Halogen light back in?

BTW I have a Sylvania Silverstar in the High bean fixture.
lurk.gif
retrofit hid as used in lighting terms, applies to 'converting'
to the use of HID technology. Using HID components to replace
halogen.

What I did here is a mod. Not a true retrofit
I will actually retrofit an Acura TSX projector by
cutting the stock reflector bowl, and putting inplace
the HID projector.

Here is a pic of a 2002 Maxima headlamp I retrofitted
I will post the finished product later.
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

checkout HIDPLANET.COM a world alot of people do not know exist.
You will learn some great things there
smile.gif

Dear Friends

I'm sorry to learn that opting for a HID light isn't a plug-and-play proposition.

Someone should develop a legal plug-and-play solution.

What does HID stand for? I'm guessing high-intensity something or other.

ALLshow.NOgo, thanks for the detailed write-up!

--Jaddie
H igh
I ntesity
D ishcharge

Thanks alot! felt like I spent more time putting this post
up than the actual project lol. Glad it was not for nothing
biggrin.gif

The installation of most of the HID kits IS PLUG AND PLAY for the most part.  All Show was merely pointing out the fact that the stock reflectors may project light in a mannner that may direct unwanted light at on coming traffic.

I have HID in my low beam, and with proper adjustments, the low beam works fine.  There are virtually no Lighting mods that you can do to any vehicle that are DOT approved.  In other words, mod your lighting at your own risk.

So condider adding HID and using the extra lumens it provides, or consider doing the mod that All Show has detailed here.  Either way, you'll be estatic at the results HID provides.

Personally I can appreciate the effort that All Show put forth, however, I am not up for opening my headlight housing.  By the letter of the law, if your bike didn't come with HID you're gonna be illegal either way it goes, so I am not going to go through the trouble.  Just my opinion.

People need to consider that nearly all of the mods we do aren't legal.  Especially lighting and exhaust....but we do it anyway.

beerchug.gif
I agree with you 100%
I have yet to see a PnP kit DOT approved
biggrin.gif

Heck alot of the lighting aftermarket are not
DOT approved. Thats why they list under 'offroad'
biggrin.gif

You can modify and make better
but it has to be worth it for you

biggrin.gif

I understand the reasoning for inverting the projector lens.  I recently did an HID install on mine and posted a very detailed description of everything I did, and WHY I did it and got the same kind of responses from a bunch of people.  I think a lot of people on here either simply don't understand, or they just mainly look at the pictures and go "why the heck is he doing that?"  I wired a timed relay into mine and explained what I was doin, and why I was doing so much wiring and got countless responses from people saying things like "Wow, that's a lot of wiring!  Glad I didn't get that kit.  Mine was plug and play."  I think some people just don't pay attention.
Makes a big difference
and lights

my lights at the top
I like the undertail, man. Looks good. Being a lighting fanatic, you may have researched this and know the answer. . . Why in the world did suzuki put the projector in upside down to begin with? Ever since I got the bike I've been wondering that. Is it simply the difference in the light pattern of a halogyn bulb as opposed to an HID? That was the only thing I could think of, is maybe they were just tryin to get the most usable light out of a weaker bulb. . . Who knows.

Makes a big difference
and lights

my lights at the top
I like the undertail, man.  Looks good.  Being a lighting fanatic, you may have researched this and know the answer. . . Why in the world did suzuki put the projector in upside down to begin with?  Ever since I got the bike I've been wondering that. Is it simply the difference in the light pattern of a halogyn bulb as opposed to an HID?  That was the only thing I could think of, is maybe they were just tryin to get the most usable light out of a weaker bulb. . . Who knows.
Thanks much, the projector in stock form is not upside down.
It is the charistic of the HID buld to scater light in a different
manner. The design of the reflector is different for each technology.
Also the length of the HID bulb changes the 'focal point'
This is the reason I had to invert the projector.

Hope I answered your question
smile.gif

Below I have updated to show the superior beam pattern over stock
light pattern. I will take some of stock pattern later. Here also shows
the HUGE color in the beam. Looks crazy coming down the road. Color shifting.

HPIM0129-800.jpg

HPIM0130-800.jpg

HPIM0131-800.jpg

HPIM0132-800.jpg

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>

I like the undertail, man.  Looks good.  Being a lighting fanatic, you may have researched this and know the answer. . . Why in the world did suzuki put the projector in upside down to begin with?  Ever since I got the bike I've been wondering that. Is it simply the difference in the light pattern of a halogyn bulb as opposed to an HID?  That was the only thing I could think of, is maybe they were just tryin to get the most usable light out of a weaker bulb. . . Who knows.[/quote]

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Thanks much, the projector in stock form is not upside down.
It is the charistic of the HID buld to scater light in a different
manner. The design of the reflector is different for each technology.
Also the length of the HID bulb changes the 'focal point'
This is the reason I had to invert the projector.

Hope I answered your question
smile.gif
[/quote][/quote]
Well, the reason I said it was upside down is cause from the factory the cut off line is on the bottom with the light output on top of the line, and every car I've ever seen with projectors has the cut off line on the top, with the light output below the line.  I never have understood that.

Just wanted to bump this awesome mod. With how easy the headlight is to open, everyone running HIDs should do this.

One thing I haven't been able to find out is that while you're in there, if you wanted to upgrade the projector as well.... What will fit to replace the stock projector?

Back