Hex key - buy short or long?

The most common size is 3/8 drive. A really good set up will have 1/4 for small stuff/spaces and 1/2 drive is most common for use with air tools.
I also have 1" drive for big heavy jobs (axle bolts,etc)
Adaptors can go up a size or drop a size.
Rubb.

For a first set get a long set.There will be times when you need short but probably not that often,like aftermarket chain adjusters that bolt into the swingarm.

On a bike I've found that 1/4" drive stuff is good. Enough torque to loosen stuff but not tear it up.
That’s right.But they don’t do 30mm for example sockets in 1/4 which might be a typical size for a axle nut.Might be able to get bigger sockets in 3/8.

It depends on how short or how long they are. The L shaped ones I've had for years have done everything I need them to do which for the most part is low torque items like plastics. They're about 3"~6" long. They are nice because you can twirl the stem in your fingers to remove the screw quickly.

Get the long ones with ball end.

The ball end is great because t doesn't need to be perfectly square to the bolt head. Works great for the twirl technique mentioned above.

If I need to tighten an allen head bolt pretty hard, the allen sockets are the way to go. A set of L shaped allen wrenches won't fit a torque wrench.

Buy a set of square drive adapters while you're at it. Then you can use whatever sized sockets you have with any square drive. Harbor Freight is fine for all this stuff.

Back