Need a 2nd Key

StwBusa

Banned
Bought my 09 used... only one key... Going on a long trip so I was thinking an extra key might be smart.... But dealer needs the key code and I do not have that... So they cant help me... Jeez... What can I do?? :beerchug:

go on ebay and buy a couple of blanks and have a local store cut them for you.

Ummm.. I would say it would be eaiser to buy a new motorcycle... In all seriousness though they can't look up the key code via the VIN or anything like that?

So they can just copy the original?? Right???

thats what I did for my project 05

bought 2 off ebay and went to Ace Hardware and they cut them for me off my original...even had a buy one get one free coupon:thumbsup:

Yes, any hardware store should be able to cut one. Also, you can use the older key design too, my wifes old SV650 key is the same exact key as my Busas, just the cut is different. You don't need to get the one with the fancy head on it just for a spare. Plus the flat ones fit in your wallet! :beerchug:

I can't remember for sure but the keycode maybe stamped onto your factory key. Another place to look would be on the back of the rear seat key lock. You should be able to goto a locksmith and get the key blank. I HIGHLY suggest going to a real locksmith not a hardware store. They are only trained to put the keys in a machine and not cut keys. If you can't find the factory code the locksmiths can. Plus if u goto them it will be cheaper than dealer and you can get a key cut by code to be exact to an original.

Gluck

Gpmo, he has one key already. If he didn't have one key, he would definitely need the code. Any monkey with a key cutting machine can cut a key. No reason to spend more money than you need to. The machines do all the work. Now if he had lost both of the original keys that would be a different story altogether..

:beerchug:

Gpmo, he has one key already. If he didn't have one key, he would definitely need the code. Any monkey with a key cutting machine can cut a key. No reason to spend more money than you need to. The machines do all the work. Now if he had lost both of the original keys that would be a different story altogether..

:beerchug:

I realize he already has a key. That's why I mentioned checking it for a stamped code. As for any monkey can cut a key well you are wrong. How do I know this? I'm a locksmith and when you re cut and repair so many keys and locks cause the monkey at home depot let the machine do all the work u become able to provide a educated opinion to it.

See what happens is the guy at home depot may or may not get the right keyblank. And the machine may or may not be calibrated correctly. And the guy may or may not have been given a proper education on how to place and align the key in the machine properly or doesn't care cause he has an 8$ an hour job with an 18 yr old boss who dumps on him all day.

Now you take that key and put it in your lock oh darn it doesn't turn right. Oh wait if I giggle it I can get it to turn. So there ya go it turns after awhile. Now the wafers in the locks have been damaged ever so slightly to allow that key to work and slowly is works it down more and now your key doesn't work and the lock doesn't work. Yay for the cheap key at home depot that just cost you 200$ for a new ignition lock.

Now if you goto the locksmith shop he knows his equipment and how to use it and guaranties his work. You can get a new like factory key and no problems. And it costs u 2$ more than home depot.

On a side note sorry if that came off as being jerkish. That wasn't my intention just see this a lot and people don't realize that security including keys is very much a you get what you pay for industry. It is better to be educated and thats my point.

Anyhow sorry no code on key was just a idea.

On a side note sorry if that came off as being jerkish. That wasn't my intention just see this a lot and people don't realize that security including keys is very much a you get what you pay for industry. It is better to be educated and thats my point.

Anyhow sorry no code on key was just a idea.

No worries ..a number was my first thought but anyway I have bought a Blank key...Just got to decide who cuts it now...

Gpmo, you are going to the wrong hardware stores.. :D
I worked at an ace hardware for six ridiculously long years of my life many moons ago, and cut countless keys on a manual key cutting machine (the one that you physically had to move the key into the cutting wheel) its not rocket science....
I've also rekeyed my fair share of locks, and its not that difficult either.
I am glad you are good at your profession and are proud of what you do, don't get me wrong. I just think a few bad apples may have tweaked your perception of hardware stores is all.

Posted from my HTC EVO using tapatalk...

Sorry man it took me forever to type that on my phone here. I don't mean any disrespect either. I did take it the wrong way. :D

Posted from my HTC EVO using tapatalk...

I keep hitting the "b" instead of the space on my iPhone. It really does make it more difficult to do long messages.

I agree with you it isn't rocket science and lots of people working at the ace and walmart and many other places do the job right for sure. But in my experience that is a smaller group than the people not doing it right. Better safe than sorry. Plus most locksmiths are locally owned and I like to support that.

I do really love what I do thats for sure. Don't do a lot of the key cutting work anymore. Mainly high security bank stuff ;).

Back