Here we go again... govt telling banks to "loan"

While you bash our government for encouraging small business lending, let me remind you that it was not small business that got us into the current mess. It is however small business that is suffering. While big brother has handed out billions to save the big, us small business owners have been left to fend for ourselves. I'm currently trying to get a business loan for some desperatley needed new CNC Machine equipment. I have found it all but impossible, when 2 years ago these same lenders were begging to give me money.

You could lease? They are easier to get than an outright loan and it's all deductable....

If you could actually represent the people that elected you then you would be better than what we have now......

I could better represent the portion of the poplulation that was actually supporting the system; but I doubt I'd be very popular with those that are leaching OFF the system :whistle:

By the way, great post about term limits; good way to get the professional politicians out of the game is to make sure they can't stay there forever....

Last edited:
we already have term limits....they are called elections. unless we the people get tired of the quality of our elected officials, we will keep electing the same kind.

people like to say we cannot make a change, but the truth is in cali., there are some congressional seat won by less than 1000 voters. in the last 30 years there have been 5 presidents....due to term limits

yet there are members of congress, that have been there the whole time,,,doing nothing but getting fat and making tons of money off us...

This is a good thread.

Liltroy, you made some good points on buying what you can afford, without relying on credit.

My credit took a big hit as part of my divorce. However, I am in my second home, and I too, never believed in mbuying more than I could afford, just cause someone else was looking for a bigger commission.

People need to wake up & live within their means, educate themselves, and learn from the mistakes of countless others.

some of us can remember when credit was reserved for major purchases like homes, and maybe automobiles....

my grandparents, who lived thru the "Great Deppression" had one payment, thier home. he did not use credit cards, he did not have a Good Guys account for a big screen TV.

we live in a world where people are financing thier lifestyle......and this is what happens.

just because you can afford to the $35.00 minimum payment on your good guys card...does not mean you can afford the plasma TV.

This is a good thread.

Liltroy, you made some good points on buying what you can afford, without relying on credit.

My credit took a big hit as part of my divorce. However, I am in my second home, and I too, never believed in mbuying more than I could afford, just cause someone else was looking for a bigger commission.

People need to wake up & live within their means, educate themselves, and learn from the mistakes of countless others.

Divorce is a kick in that azz....

I think the system went sour when variable rate loans started overtaking fixed rate loans then came the extremely high late fees then overbalance fees.

My thing is this how can you loan someone more than the limit you gave them then charge them for going over the limit and charging them for that too! This system was designed to fail!

we can blame the system and banks or even wall street.....

the problem is us....

it is now normal to buy things we cannot afford. we put them on credit cards and finance our lifestyle.

then blame the people that gave us the credit....like they forced you to buy all that stuff.

the problem is us....

it is now normal to buy things we cannot afford. we put them on credit cards and finance our lifestyle.

then blame the people that gave us the credit....like they forced you to buy all that stuff.

I agree to an extent, except when Credit Card Companies at their whim jack up rates and monthly payments beyond what people can afford.

You are right when you say we should only buy what we can afford. My 18 year old son gets credit card offers in the mail a couple times a week.....we throw them out. :thumbsup:

we already have term limits....they are called elections. unless we the people get tired of the quality of our elected officials, we will keep electing the same kind.

people like to say we cannot make a change, but the truth is in cali., there are some congressional seat won by less than 1000 voters. in the last 30 years there have been 5 presidents....due to term limits

yet there are members of congress, that have been there the whole time,,,doing nothing but getting fat and making tons of money off us...
Term limits and elections are not the same thing, and you know it. Elections have become a spending and lying contest. Just like the propositions on the ballot in your state. How many times does a clever campaign ad muddy the waters intentionally so the average voter barely knows what they are voting for or against? And that's a simple yes or no vote....
Term limits as I see them would require the official to go do something other than politics for a significant period of time subsequent to their term in office. They would not be focused on re-election when they should be doing what their constituency wants.

the problem is us....

Perhaps you are immune to the psychological effects of advertising that permeate our daily existence, most are not. It is not solely the fault of the credit companies, but lets face it they don't pay millions for advertising that DOESN'T work........

the problem is us....

+1...I mean, it is technically the fault the the person who took out the credit in the first place, but on the flip side, You gotta laugh at some of the banks as well. Like sallie mae with my student loans...heres how the last conversation went.
Them "you havent made a payment in two years"
Me " thats because I dont have any money to pay you"
Them" Well if you dont pay, its going to ruin your credit"(the only REAL threat they have by the way)
Me "Um, maim, My credit has been bottomed out for years, and a high credit score is what got me into this mess in the first place ten years ago"
Them " Well, you're going to have to pay it sometime. You cant just not pay it back"
Me " Well what did you really expect when you loaned $38k to a guy only making $18k a year to goto school for a job that only pays $20k a year?"
Them " Well if you dont work out some arrangement, then we can garnish up to 15% of your net pay"
Me " Lady, 15% of my net pay is only around $180 a month,....My student loan payments are $560 a month which is about 50% of my net pay. If thats the choice you're giving me then I think I'm better off with the garnishment"
Them " But a garnishment will ruin your credit" (back to the only REAL threat they've got again)
Me " Lady, you really need to work on your comprehension skills"
Them" click"
:rofl:

I know that whole thing seemed kinda off topic, but it just goes to show you how credit is constantly held over your head because so many people are so over dependant on it that even the bill collectors try to use it as collateral. The crap just makes me laugh everytime I hear it..."but what about your credit sir?" Screw your credit! Buy what you need....You'll come to find out that you didnt "need" everything that you thought you did when you're paying for everything with cash.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Perhaps you are immune to the psychological effects of advertising that permeate our daily existence, most are not. It is not solely the fault of the credit companies, but lets face it they don't pay millions for advertising that DOESN'T work........

I think you meant to say the advertizing does work...otherwise so many people would not be in the position they are in now.

It worked on me, I still owe over $38k in student loans for a degree that the markets so flooded in that the job wont even pay for my cigarette habit.:rofl:

It worked on me, I still owe over $38k in student loans for a degree that the markets so flooded in that the job wont even pay for my cigarette habit.:rofl:

What did you go to school for and how long for 38k?
Posted via Mobile Device

Two years at ITT for applied sciences in network administration. By the way, ITT is stupid overpriced and tells you they'll get you a job when you graduate, well, they will....and you'll be making around $10 entry level(or whatever is proportionate to your area). Needless to say, I was better off staying on my current job than I was getting into the field that I went to school for.

Two years at ITT for applied sciences in network administration. By the way, ITT is stupid overpriced and tells you they'll get you a job when you graduate, well, they will....and you'll be making around $10 entry level(or whatever is proportionate to your area). Needless to say, I was better off staying on my current job than I was getting into the field that I went to school for.

Wow 38k for that is wayyy overpriced. Last semester I went at the osu tech was 2500.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow 38k for that is wayyy overpriced. Last semester I went at the osu tech was 2500.
Posted via Mobile Device

believe me, I know that now. I was 23 then. Fell for the advertising hook line and sinker. They even threw in a laptop(of course I paid almost $2k for it and it was tacked onto the loans). Lesson learned. I could have got the same education at a local community college for about a third of that price. But ultimately, I'd still be in the same boat.....Like I said, lesson learned.The associates degree is the new highschool diploma and the bachlears degree will be that way in the next few years. There are so many people with them that they're almost worthless, yet all the tech schools and universities are still suckering people into loans they wont be able to afford to pay with promises of "big money jobs" when they graduate. Truth of the matter is, in MOST parts of the country, you can make as much in a mill as you can behind a desk now, unless your a company big dog or have connections. I was making around $18k a year when I went to ITT for a job that I was told would pay me around $50k a year in this area. By the time I was about to graduate, the best thing they could find for me was a job making less than $20k a year:banghead: and the factory job I was working was paying almost $30k at that point. Couldnt afford to take a pay cut for 3 to 5 years while I "built up my experience", hell, I have three mouths to feed other than my own.

I think you meant to say the advertizing does work...otherwise so many people would not be in the position they are in now.

C'mon bruh. Put the hookah pipe down and re-read it. They don't pay millions for advertising that doesn't work....they pay millions for advertising that does....
Try and stay with me!:rofl::whistle:

Back