help with a telescope purchase.

jch364

Registered
Ive been doing some reasearch into the idea of purchasing a telescope. Now, my main focus , no pun intended, is planetary but maybe a star cluster would be nice. Anyway, after reading about both refractor, reflector versions Im still not clear,,, again no pun intended. I know aperture is all important. the more light the better but after that it gets a little confusing. Im looking at the $250 to $350 range. Of course it may not be that much of a distinction within that price range anyway but I thought I would field some ideas cause I know we got some astronomy buffs on here.

I was looking at going all in with a computer-controlled huge one for my deck. My wife teaches science so I ended up just hanging with their watch night trips. Don't know much on the specifics though but will be watching this.

Im kinda thinking along the lines of this one.

Celestron - StarSense Explorer 114mm Newtonian Reflector Telescope - Silver/Black​

It has a good size aperture and a nice attachment to put your phone and use it as a map with an app they have. works pretty well from what I have found on you tube.

well Im gonna see how good the queen is cause I just ordered it. Headed to florida in a couple of weeks to hang out on the beach for a week, eat blackened grouper and drink a really large amount of alcohol. So Im gonna take it with us and take it down on the beach at night and see what we can see!

Back